MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
can anyone help with my cruise control I dont think it is working since i brought the car a couple of weeks a go (one thing i did not check ) I have checked all the fuses etc Can anyone direct me where to start looking to try and solve the problem.

This is a great site keep up the good work everyone

·
Registered
cityrover
4,366 Posts
Just a check - have you got the instruction book...sorry I'm not being sarcy but my ZTT was the first car I ever had CC on and it threw me!

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
can anyone help with my cruise control I dont think it is working since i brought the car a couple of weeks a go (one thing i did not check ) I have checked all the fuses etc Can anyone direct me where to start looking to try and solve the problem.

There is a sensor above the clutch pedal if manual. They are known to move if caught and will stop the cruise control working until pushed back in place.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i have read the book that comes with the car and followed the instructions but nothing seems to happen when you push or pull on the switich on the steerig wheel.I get the light on the switich that you have to press to switich the cruise control on but that is all it does.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Mines auto but believe on a manual it is a small switch which is just above the arm of the clutch pedal and should rest against the pedal arm. When the clutch pedal is pressed when in cruise mode, the switch loses contact which then disengages the cruise control. If not touching then it won't engage in the first place.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hi have had a good look for the switiches but there seems to be none there,
I have had a good look all around he pedals and above but could not see any switiches, if the switices were there but have been removed you would expect to see the wires but there is none of them,any ideas,

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Mark, the switches are right up at the top of the pedals. You will need to get your head under the dash and shine a torch up to see them. Probably best to remove the plastic cover above the pedals to get a good view.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Strange still cannot find them ! i have had a good look for them,Cannot find any switiches around the clutch or brake pedals,have had my head right up behind the panel with a touch, but still no switiches Sorry to be a pain but Any other ideas,

added : when you switch the master switich on for the curise control should a light or something appear on the dash to tell you it is on.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
As far as I know. Only this system was used and the switches should be there. I've just been out to mine which is auto and only has a sensor on the brake pedal. It is hard to see but I can feel it OK. Run your hand on the under side of the pedal and follow the arm up towards the bulkhead. Right at the top you should be able to feel the switch.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Mark,

The master switch in front of the gear leaver should illuminate when switched on. It will switch off everytime you turn the ignition off and will need to be switched on again when you restart.

Try switching the master on, take the car onto a dual carriageway at 50mph or so and then pull the + button on the rhs of the wheel towards you. After a second or so, it should come on. You can feel a gentle pull as it comes in and a yellow sign (that looks like a motorway) will illuminate on the dash.

If the master switch does not light up, gently pull the switch out to make sure the wiring block at the rear hasnt become detached.

PH

·
Registered
5,472 Posts
Unless somebody has been "at it" the clutch switch must be present so you need to find it and make sure it is correctly located as 9 times out of 10 this is the culprit

This is a fairly easy one to test and diagnose even at a Dealer as they even have page just for doing so on the Testbook diagnostic computer like this

If you weren't so far away you could bring it here and I would sort out what is and is not working on my Testbook

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Am i right in saying that after you switch on the master button that the light on the display in front of you between the rev and speedo will not come on until you engage the cruise control around 50 mph and above,Or should it come on straight away when you switch on the master switch

·
Registered
5,472 Posts
Yep it is a two stage system

Arm it every time with the Master switch green light on switch should be on (god I wish I could make it stay on permanently though) then set you speed with the plus button it should engage at anything over 25-30 mph, only when set will the motorway icon light up in the cluster.

Do not get into the habbit of riding the clutch though as it is designed to disengage as soon as cluth or brake pedals are pressed

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for all your help,I finally managed to get some free time and stick my head right up into the dash and guess what you were right I found the two switiches and the one above the clutch was pushed right back nearly hanging off(looks like a fault in the design the way the switich is held) pushed it back so the clutch now touches the switich and cruise control now working perfect

Once again thanks for all your help

·
Registered
940 Posts
Another thing that can affect cruise control is the front left ABS sensor/cable, but then your ABS fault light would be on.

·
Registered
rover_75
8 Posts
Carlingford

MARK WHEN YOU SWITCH ON CC PUT YOUR LEFT FOOT UNDER THE BRAKE PEDAL AND PUSH UP SAME WITH CLUTCH PEDAL THEN THEN PRESS THE + SWITCH ON COLUMN.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Thanks for all your help,I finally managed to get some free time and stick my head right up into the dash and guess what you were right I found the two switiches and the one above the clutch was pushed right back nearly hanging off(looks like a fault in the design the way the switich is held) pushed it back so the clutch now touches the switich and cruise control now working perfect

Once again thanks for all your help

Glad you got it sorted Mark.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts