MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When braking lightly to a stop there is this annoying quite loud creaking sound as the front driverside wheel as it slowly rotates to a stop.

With the wheel slowing rotating before the stop its, creak, creak, creak getting slower as the car comes to a stop.

I had a guy look underneath with the wheel off, brakes looked fine, plenty of meat on them, CV gaitors all good. But the drive shaft has quite some inches of play to it, this is different from the passenger side with has only about 1cm of play. Is this the problem?

Rover is an Automatic (honda engine) T reg with ABS.

Cheers guys!

·
Registered
rover_400_95_99
3 Posts
i would hazard a guess at the brake disc being slightly warped - jack it up,
get someone to very lightly press the brakes (or pump the brakes a cpl of times) then go spin the offending wheel - you should hear it rubbing slightly. if you're lucky then replacement discs are about 20 quid a pair - give it a try :)

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i would hazard a guess at the brake disc being slightly warped - jack it up,
get someone to very lightly press the brakes (or pump the brakes a cpl of times) then go spin the offending wheel - you should hear it rubbing slightly. if you're lucky then replacement discs are about 20 quid a pair - give it a try :)
I had STS put it up on the ramps, and they turned and spun the wheels checked a few other things and said they could find nothing wrong with the brakes etc.

Everyone I ask says there should be in and out movement on the drive shafts otherwise they would break. But the passenger has 1cm of movement while the drivers side (creaking noise side) has about 3 inches of movement.

Is this normal for an Automatic's drive shaft to move so much, have so much play on the driverside?

Many thanks exmbob.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Went to a quiet area today, tried circling on full lock both directions, not a sound at all.

Braking lightly to a stop while reversing also no noise.

Braking lightly to a stop while going forward, creak creak creak.

breaks have been checked, cv joint and gaitor was replaced this side 1 year ago. where's the noise coming from?

weird.

·
Registered
rover_45
11,619 Posts
You sure it deffo has 3" of play as that sound alot to me.

I would start looking at the hub and the wheel bearing next.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You sure it deffo has 3" of play as that sound alot to me.

I would start looking at the hub and the wheel bearing next.
Thanks for the reply Sejin26, I have had a look at it again myself this evening and I'd say it travels in and out about 1 and half to 2 inches. Its quite alot of movement compared to just about 1cm on the passenger side. The auto gearbox is located driverside its got the honda engine.

Its just like a family members Honda Civic, looked at the drive shaft on that today and it doesn't move at all. Its completely solid.

I noticed infact when moving the driveshaft in and out on the rover it makes a knock as if it stops against metal on the wheel side.

·
Registered
rover_45
11,619 Posts
Well then it could be the drive shaft or the gearbox thats at fault. Hard to tell with no car hear.

I would see if the hub nut can be done up abit and go from there.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Well then it could be the drive shaft or the gearbox thats at fault. Hard to tell with no car hear.

I would see if the hub nut can be done up abit and go from there.
What do you think would have gone wrong for there to be so much play on the shaft?

Could it be damage from when i had the cv joint, wheel hub and studs replaced a year ago? Did they pull the driveshaft out of the gear box and didn't click it back in properly?

·
Registered
rover_400_95_99
3 Posts
hmm - drive shaft then i reckon - or possibly bearing as previously mentioned? its gotta be there somewhere. I would be tempted to get another shaft and start there...they aren't a lot of money if u can find a 2nd hand one.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
hmm - drive shaft then i reckon - or possibly bearing as previously mentioned? its gotta be there somewhere. I would be tempted to get another shaft and start there...they aren't a lot of money if u can find a 2nd hand one.
Cheers for your input exmbob, I'm gonna get in touch with a garage that I trust who usually does all my servicing, repairs and MOT's and see what he thinks. I haven't been able to trust many mechanics out there I'm a fraid, most of them have done more damage than they have repaired.

Anyway he knows the history and probs with gearbox. Fingers crossed its a cv or something to do with the shaft.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Weight off my mind, the garage found a clip on the drive shaft missing creating all that play.

As no remains of the clip could be found in the gaitor it leaves me wondering was it left off accidently or deliberately by either a certain mobile mechanic or well known tyre centre after they both done work on the CV joint.

Mind you I still have a slight noise, but I believe it must having something to do with the brakes.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts