MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
In the Garage
MG TF
33,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As my TF’s water pump has spat lots of coolant out of the engine, I am in the process of changing the pump and cambelt, and whilst in there it looks like the front crankshaft seal has gone and is leaking.

This seal isn’t something I’ve ever looked at and I am surprised in the variation in coast of the seal from ~£5 to £50. Does anyone have any experience or opinions of which one to fit?

·
Registered
rover_25
202 Posts
buy a genuine one from rimmer bros, they are expensive but the aftermarket ones just are not worth the ball ache, they always leak and you dont want to do it twice, pay once, genuine parts and forget

·
Registered
mg_tf
60 Posts
Yes, id agree to get the genuine seals for the cambelt side as it's a lot of work to do if they fail before time to change the cambelt, etc. The other end to be honest I bought medium-priced seals as they were easy to get at and didn't think it was too difficult to change.

·
Registered
mg_tf
60 Posts
Yes, id agree to get the genuine seals for the cambelt side as it's a lot of work to do if they fail before time to change the cambelt, etc. The other end to be honest I bought medium-priced seals as they were easy to get at and didn't think it was too difficult to change.
Sorry, I assumed you meant the camshaft seals, not the crankshaft. I fitted genuine crankshaft seals when I removed the engine and also genuine gearbox ones as well didn't want to retrace that path again for a while.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts