MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has any had experaince of undoing theses and willing to give me some advice ? just snapped a half inch extension bar ?

I have a breaker bar and a 3 and half foot scaffold bar don,t tell me that won,t do it ??
i have taken everything off ready to do gasket but can,t undue this """""""" bolt.
Are there any extra strong extensions that i shoud be using ?
any advice would be great j

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
and another thing just got the headgasket for the 620 and it,s multulayed metal one some what more bulky and sturdy then the t16 headgasket [rover 2 litre is that k ?] anyway no wonder the rover 2 litre is a lot more prone to h/g failor it,s got paper mashy gasket ,,,does anyone know why ?

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Use a one foot extention bar and use a heavy lump hammer to hit it with .....the shock will break its grip and not the bar.

best use impact sockets for the above

better still an air powerd impact gun.

all the best..........mark

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
jasonc46 said:
and another thing just got the headgasket for the 620 and it,s multulayed metal one some what more bulky and sturdy then the t16 headgasket [rover 2 litre is that k ?] anyway no wonder the rover 2 litre is a lot more prone to h/g failor it,s got paper mashy gasket ,,,does anyone know why ?
the 2ltr is not the K and is only prone to a few leaks of oil.

the new gasket you have stops all this ..

you need to follow these instructions from this site when fitting it ....

2/3 of the way down here

http://people.pwf.cam.ac.uk/mac65/T-SeriesKB/usefulinfo.htm

and
http://people.pwf.cam.ac.uk/mac65/T-SeriesKB/designfaults.htm

all the best....mark

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
some stuck fastners I find go with just hitting the socket square to the work,Make sure its not a fav one and becareful not to damage the bolt just use light blow with the lump.Also like youself I broke a 1/2 bar so I now have draper wheel wrench it has a double sided socket get that type as it sure is hefty and more meaty than a bar plus its 1/2" drive!! I recently got my crank bolt off with it.

·
Premium Member
mg_zt_t
21,916 Posts
aboard_epsilon said:
the new gasket you have stops all this ..

you need to follow these instructions from this site when fitting it ....

2/3 of the way down here

http://people.pwf.cam.ac.uk/mac65/T-SeriesKB/usefulinfo.htm

and
http://people.pwf.cam.ac.uk/mac65/T-SeriesKB/designfaults.htm

all the best....mark
But only if the head and block faces are true, free of burrs, corrosion wear, other defects and above all, clean. Then even the original pre-Klinger gasket will last many, many 1000s miles.

The massive publicity media overkill involving damaged K-series cylinder head gaskets has now rubbed off on to any Rover engine.... so, the myth expands and ...

>> All Rovers do it ....<<

Yeah ... right.

·
Premium Member
mg_zt_t
21,916 Posts
Some years ago I invested in a 'Bergen' 3/4" breaker bar plus a few 3/4" sockets 30mm 32mm and 36mm the latter for those big 620ti driveshaft nuts. I also obtained a 3/4" - 1/2" adapter and use that with a 19mm socket on the crankshaft pulley bolts. It makes short work of them all. If you can't lock the flywheel, I have successfully used a large screwdriver in the disc brake webbing and with the car in gear, the pulley bolt can be undone that way. I also use a 500mm extension bar to reach into the off side whel arch to accesss that pulley bolt.

When you have the right tools (use hex-sockets [6-flats] by the way) some of those difficult jobs are not so difficult, indeed become a doddle..

·
Premium Member
79,177 Posts
You'll be needing an air powered impact wrench to free the crank bolt.

It will be very very tight as found on the D Series Honda lump.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks everyone for the advice i decided to invest in good quality gear and with the aid of the 3 foot scaffold bar it came of !!!

But now i have taken the dam head off, i found that the gasket seemed in good nick?? but the last owner said he had it SNIFF tested by rac and it was showing h/g does this mean there is a crack in the head if the gasket is ok ? just wondering if i should take it to local engine place to have a look at it ??

basicly the car was overheating after 15 mins or so any help would be great thanks

·
Registered
464 Posts
overheating is rarely the faut of the hg.

9 times out of 10, another cooling system component fails, causing the car to overheat blowing the hg.

gasket may also look fine but may well be knackered, mine was.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts