1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
36,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
69 Posts
If I get smooth roads as a result, then I'll live with it.

Otherwise, not good. :S
If all the road tax and fuel surcharges don't get you smooth roads do you really think this will..... Why pay again for something that is already paid for?
Sure they will patch a few of the biggest holes then claim the money was well spent. Have to wonder if the extra funds will be removed from the bill once the roads are fixed......

·
Premium Member
mg_zt_t
21,925 Posts
There was a time when councils employed their own people to repair roads. I do not think it's a touch of the rose tinteds but, I do remember the roads were generally smoother and in better repair back then. To be fair, nobody drove 4x4 monster trucks, oversized people carriers and a transit sized van was considered large ~ now considered small vans. Also, six-axle articulated heavy goods vehicles were a rare sight on our roads and there were not queues of the things on our roads 24/7 as is the case today.

Then guess what. Some bright spark thought it best to get rid of those staff and contract the work out to private firms.... what a good idea .... for the private firms... shoddy repairs ...never mind the quality of work and service, feel the width of these ripoff profits...

Those vehicles that wear our road surfaces out most should contribute more to road maintenance and upkeep. Millions of pounds have been spent all over the former green and pleasant on traffic calming platforms, chicanes and other expensive devices. All largely ignored now by most 4x4 drivers and commercial drivers, precisely the vehicles which need to calm their speeds in key areas.. :(

You couldn't make it up and we pay folks huge amounts to get it wrong all the time ... Well ... maybe you could you make it up.. Yes Minister visiting very busy Hospital with hyperactive staff enquires ... where are the patients ?.. to be told.... Oh Minister ~ we're far to busy to deal with patients.... :rolleyes:

Only ....:rolleyes:

·
Registered
30,859 Posts
Those vehicles that wear our road surfaces out most should contribute more to road maintenance and upkeep. Millions of pounds have been spent all over the former green and pleasant on traffic calming platforms, chicanes and other expensive devices. All largely ignored now by most 4x4 drivers and commercial drivers, precisely the vehicles which need to calm their speeds in key areas.. :(
they do - 4x4s pay higher road tax - or am i missing something?

are you privvy to stats that say 4x4s and commercial vehicles are more likely to speed - and also receive more fines than say renault clios or other smaller cars? if so please share them with us all...

in my experience, bad driving/riding comes in all types of vehicles. from cyclists, through to lorry drivers and everyone in between. you cant single a type of vehicle out, just because you personally have some sort of grudge against them

·
Registered
7,662 Posts
Roads mashed up because of 4x4's lol!

The roads weren't built well enough to withstand the ice, and in general the increasing volume of traffic

You need a 4x4 just to make along some roads round my way! knocked my tracking out of alignment the other day :(

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
689 Posts
they do - 4x4s pay higher road tax - or am i missing something?

are you privvy to stats that say 4x4s and commercial vehicles are more likely to speed - and also receive more fines than say renault clios or other smaller cars? if so please share them with us all...

in my experience, bad driving/riding comes in all types of vehicles. from cyclists, through to lorry drivers and everyone in between. you cant single a type of vehicle out, just because you personally have some sort of grudge against them
Actually HGVs do disproportionate damage to roads compared to all other road vehicles. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gross_axle_weight_rating

4x4s don't do a great deal of damage, and may actually save local authorities money because they aren't as likely to be damaged by pot holes and so local authorities aren't as likely to be sued by 4x4 drivers for damage due to poor maintenance of roads.

Having said this, fuel tax brings in about 8 times the total amount spent on roads and public transport, and this goes to the coffers of national government and not much of this is passed onto local authorities. The funds are there from taxes paid for road use, but they are being misappropriated on a massive scale by government to spend on other things.

·
Registered
30,859 Posts
Actually HGVs do disproportionate damage to roads compared to all other road vehicles. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gross_axle_weight_rating

4x4s don't do a great deal of damage, and may actually save local authorities money because they aren't as likely to be damaged by pot holes and so local authorities aren't as likely to be sued by 4x4 drivers for damage due to poor maintenance of roads.

Having said this, fuel tax brings in about 8 times the total amount spent on roads and public transport, and this goes to the coffers of national government and not much of this is passed onto local authorities. The funds are there from taxes paid for road use, but they are being misappropriated on a massive scale by government to spend on other things.
The wiki article also states

For this reason trucks with a high axle weight are heavily taxed in most countries.
I guess ours is one of them? giving the amount of stupid taxes we have to pay

either way the original point is incorrect and misguided imo to blame 4x4s for the problem on our roads is not the way forward. our roads are pathetic, as streetboy says the roads are generally built substandard. we need a better solution, other than to tax people more money. i never thought id see the day that someone would suggest the solution to the problem would be higher tax :daft:

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
689 Posts
The roads weren't built well enough to withstand the ice, and in general the increasing volume of traffic
(
Lack of past maintenance is the cause. Cracks develop in the road surface because roads are not resurfaced when they should be. Water gets into the cracks and freezes. The expanding frozen water causes the surfacing and deeper layers to spall off. De-icing salts make things worse because they melt the surface ice, which causes latent heat of melting to be absorbed, which drops the temperature of the surface melted ice by up to 5 degrees centigrade. This causes water in cracks in the road construction to freeze further and deeper, so increasing damage.

Same problem with bridges. The council saves money which is diverted to other things for many years by not repainting bridges when they need to be, and this costs much more in the long term due to bridges needing to be replaced as a result of corrosion damage.

·
Registered
72 Posts
The only viable solution to the problem would be to re-nationalize the major foundations of the country again from power services to railways and the like, nothing has worked in the intrests of the tax paying public since everything went private and the key to the company became profit for the shareholders or how good the MD's bottom line looked so he could get a nice juicy bonus. Take the roads, the local authority sub contracts out the work to a company who's only objective is to make as much money as possible out of the job, not to make long lasting, safe, level or carefully laid road networks, in fact they want exactly the oppisite, they want roads that last a year or two then become dangerous so there is a public outcry and they get to lay them again with the cheapest materials money can buy. If the council workers were still responsible for the up-keep of the roads then they would look for the best value materials rarther than the cheapest as they wouldn't want to be going to the expense of re-laying every 2 or 3 years and also the team who is responsible for laying the roads would be still there to answear the questions if it did go wrong.

·
Premium Member
mg_zt_t
21,925 Posts

either way the original point is incorrect and misguided imo to blame 4x4s for the problem on our roads is not the way forward.
Please read it again!

As is so often the case ~ you are all missing the real thrust of my posting ref: 4x4s.

Only ...

Most 4x4s are HEAVIER than the average ordinary car ~ thus they WILL have a larger impact wearing effect than the average ordinary car on any given road surface. Simple physics even for simpletons! End of!

However, my main thrust was that because of their configuration. 4x4s etc are able to traverse EXPENSIVE paid for by the taxpayer road calming devices as if they are NOT there ... PRECISELY the heavier vehicles that need to drop their speed in key areas ... :rolleyes: Not to mention the ineffectiveness of these very expensive so called 'calming' measures paid for by taxpayers ...!!!

That heavy, fat gut 4x4 passing the school without reducing speed where your children are just leaving are a REAL threat unlike smaller vehicles which will suffer at least some discomfort if not damage for their drivers if they try to pass over the calming devices at the same speed as many inconsiderately driven 4x4s.

I have not dreamed this up ~ I see examples of it every schoolday only a few yards up the road where the local Junior school is...

Not only ..... but here on .org too!

·
Registered
30,859 Posts
Please read it again!

As is so often the case ~ you are all missing the real thrust of my posting ref: 4x4s.

Only ...

Most 4x4s are HEAVIER than the average ordinary car ~ thus they WILL have a larger impact wearing effect than the average ordinary car on any given road surface. Simple physics even for simpletons! End of!
and as i said they already pay more tax - Please read it again! ;)

However, my main thrust was that because of their configuration. 4x4s etc are able to traverse EXPENSIVE paid for by the taxpayer road calming devices as if they are NOT there ... PRECISELY the heavier vehicles that need to drop their speed in key areas ... :rolleyes: Not to mention the ineffectiveness of these very expensive so called 'calming' measures paid for by taxpayers ...!!!

That heavy, fat gut 4x4 passing the school without reducing speed where your children are just leaving are a REAL threat unlike smaller vehicles which will suffer at least some discomfort if not damage for their drivers if they try to pass over the calming devices at the same speed as many inconsiderately driven 4x4s.

I have not dreamed this up ~ I see examples of it every school day only a few yards up the road where the local Junior school is...

Not only ..... but here on .org too!
i remember when i was at school and there were no where near as many 4x4s on the road, never mind outside of my school gate, and it still being totally unsafe, because people still drove too quick. i was witness to two accidents, neither involved 4x4s. as i said earlier, all drivers, of all vehicles are to blame for driving too quick.

in the example you suggest, isnt it the council again at fault, for not putting in the CORRECT speed calming measures? anyone who speeds outside of a school needs shot, regardless if there are measures there or not imo putting up the tax of 4x4s will not fix this issue.

im not sure why you have some sort of axe to grind with 4x4s, is it all 4x4's or are the landrover ones ok? :tic:

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
There's no way anyone should be paying more tax for anything in this country.

It's time to start cutting away all the ****e, dismantling the whole equality and diversity industry, the petty H&S legislation, the lunatic green agenda, throwing benefits and anyone and everyone and perhaps stop invading other countrys who have nowt to do with British interests.

Then we can perhaps divert the vast amount of tax the government does take in towards worthwhile things.

·
Registered
19,006 Posts
when ever ive sen something speeding over calming measures quicker than anything else........its been buses.

maybe if normal speed bumps were put on the road(i.e full length) instead of stupid pillow shaped ones to save money and ruin the inside of your tires and tear your exhaust off this wouldnt be a problem of speeding past schools in 4X4s

i already think they pay enough in tax BTW

·
Registered
7,647 Posts
Again all this talk about road tax. Such a thing does not exist it is vehicle excise duty and as such does not need to be spent on roads. Therefore what MGJohn says is correct in that HGV's should be slapped with an extra road maintenance tax on top of any excise duty and that 4x4's and transits and LGV's pay nothing toward the upkeep of roads.

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
Problem being is that if you slap an extra tax on HGVs then everything in the shops becomes more expensive. Stick an extra tax on Transits then your plumber/joiner/spark is going to charge YOU more next time you want a job done in your house.

And I think, this country is plenty expensive enough to live in these days.

·
Registered
30,859 Posts
1 - 20 of 42 Posts