MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all.

Looking over a few armrests i got earlier in the week, i noticed one was totally wrecked. Well...distorted...and you know when plastic burns...it changes shape, and then forms solid again.
Well, it had done this, at the front...which is right next to where you change gear.

Now the car it was taken from was front end damage, no damage inside at all.
So would something overheating cause that!?

Mike

·
Registered
17,398 Posts
Is it not more likely to be the heater that has done this? Maybe someone had it too close to the front when it was on full blast in the footwell.

·
Registered
3,795 Posts
I wouldn't have thought so, but I have seen a few cars where the surrounding metal around the exhaust gets quite hot indeed. It is possible that the cat is under that point and is hence making that spot get hot. Pure conjecture though.

On all FWD K-series Rovers the gearbox isn't anywhere near the armrests - the stick is linked by an arm to the gearbox which is in the engine bay.

·
Registered
4,687 Posts
What's probably happened is the car in its previous life has had a misfire,(duff lead/plug etc) it filled the cat with neat petrol, and it goes on fire, hence the heat damage.

Any signs of the carpet burns (carpet burns. hmmm?).

This happened on a 106 XSi and gave the same end effect, all very scary, the woman driver confessing to it 'chuggin' for a few weeks!

CAM

·
Registered
14,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That sounds possible.

Its just been burnt and distorted where it touches the metal at the bottom.
Like you say...something got rather hot...id guess the cat is right under that point thinkin about it.

Cant remember about carpet burns, dont think there was any.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts