MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all not sure if anyone might know why my 200 K16 has developed the hiccups..... its only a prob when you back off the accelerator and then re-apply... If I blip the throttle it has a quick mad moment around 1500rpm then dives for the redline.. If I go slowly its fine right the way up!!! Holds all speeds on the road fine and pulls like a trooper up hills...

Happens in all gears hot or cold... Its a bit like a blocked/disfunctional accelerator pump from years ago, thats how I can best describe it.

:wavecry:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
when was it last serviced? sounds igniton related (plugs/leads/cap/rotor arm)
about 20k miles ago for plugs etc etc.... however starts on the button and accelerates clean throught the rev range even under load... just coughs when you lift off and re-apply.... my thoughts are to towards "stepper"

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
overrun takeup

Engine runs fine and as the condition is not apparent underload I do not suspect the ignition side of things.

The problems seems to be that when foot applied to throttle, butterfly opens letting in more air...

however the fuel system fails to respond momentarily thereby choking the engine till the fuel system detects opening of throttle and thereby spits in more petrol. I then accelerates as it always has.

Take foot of gas and engine idles fine...850-900rpm

increase pedal action slowly and all is as you would expect revving up the scale.

Makes thing a bit more interesting in pulling away though as you need to be up around 2000rpm anything below this and there's a good chance you'll be reaching for the key to get it going again.

extra inf

I should add that the plugs and rotor were checked and all appeared good colour etc about 3 months back

·
Registered
457 Posts
Just had a similar problem with my 214si.
Its seemed to start happening when i whas slowing to go round corners and round abouts. When applying throttle to pull off it would stutter, loose power for a mo then be okayish.
I took it to a garage as it started getting worse.... One look from the mechanic and he said it would be the leads and offered to do them the next day for £30.
I ended up buying and got some new plugs at the same time.
After fitting these I went for a quick drive to see if the problem had been resolved. It seemed a little better but still stumbled a bit... I went about 3 miles, got to a major round about to turn round and head back and the car died on me. I ended up having to get breakdown recovery and it has been sat in a garage all weekend (with it being bank holiday)
They thought it may have been the crank shaft censor and tried a new one... this didn't work.
They called me earlier to tell me they have been working on it all day and still haven't a clue whats wrong!!
Its a '98 model and has only just done 26,000 miles!!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hiccup

Well I had a good clean up around contacts, checked the dizzy cap and rotor along with the plugs and they all look in good colour with not much wear to the electrodes. All to no avail :-( So I've decided to give up on it and simply drive it till either it dies or I get my old Renault Clio MOT'd....

It'll then be off to the bake bean tin recycling plant...!!

Sad to see it go as was it was a great motor in its time and never let me down despite 165k miles and propelling a metro GTi in its first suit of clothes....

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
K16

Dizzy Cap? Rotor? Thought the K16 didn't have those, wasted spark non?
The unit is from a 1992 metro gti... and under the distributor cap you will indeed find a rotor arm bolted to the end of one of the camshafts... the 214 SEi that its all plugged into has a traditional coil just behind the nearside headlamp.... Just ripe for those heavy rain showers.... :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts