MG-Rover.org Forums banner

Costs involved on a 600

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  gnu 
#1 ·
Hi guys, been a while since my last login...oops
My Rover has been sat in the garage only coming out for special occasions or its MOT since a newer car was purchased.
Sadly DVLA taxing £250-300 for the year and 35 mpg meant I could no longer justify running it all the time, I would however like to use it a few months this year.
The rear arches are becoming rusty - how do people solve this? The cars silver if it helps/hinders things. There doesn't seem to be an easy panel to replace unlike when I picked up some new front arches for a mk5 Golf a few years back.
What would the costs involved be in renewing these?
Also, how much should I be paying an independent garage for a full timing belt, alt belt and waterpump replacement, as its been a couple years since the last one which was the cambelt only and I doubt was fitted properly as you could hear the belt, which before you couldnt. Alternatively is there anyone in Scotland who could do some work on the car for me, happy to pay of course and do some other jobs on it, oil, filters, plugs etc to make it more worthwhile.
The clutch is also a long way down to the floor, its been like that a while, but noticeably worse? Any quick fix or things to investigate? Doubt it needs the clutch changed as ive been very gentle on it the past 10+ yrs and it would be expensive?
Also wouldnt mind refreshing it with new wipers, grey carpet mats etc if anyone has a link for the correct ones.
Thank you!

See less See more
#2 ·
Hi,

If you farmed all that lot out to a garage you would be looking at quite a lot of money £1k ish I should imagine to replace arches, replace clutch, replace cambelts, water pumps & full service and you'd have to start getting creative on things like carpet sets etc. But there is a lot of unknowns here.....

The mechanical bits are a known I would suggest, but the body work could be trouble, when you say "the rear arches are becoming rusty" do you mean "I prodded a bubble and my finger disappeared into the wheel arch and came out the other side" ???
If you don't mean this, and the arches indeed just look "a bit rusty' then rubbing them down with a sander in a drill and then putting some rust preventative on, then a few coats of primer and then some vaguely matching silver would do the job. If it's just a small area and you're not a perfectionist then you could touch in the dodgy bits with a bit of silver hammerite. From 10ft away it will look OK.

For the clutch I'd just check the fluid first, if it's gone down then top it up and then see how it fares from that. If you don't do many miles then you might get away with outright failure of the master or slave cylinder for a while.....

I've probably not helped here, but there's not much to go, and I have a diesel 600 so it's just oils & filter changes are the regulars for me, and the pump belt & cambelt every 4 years.

and I'm not a perfectionist!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.