MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just been to quick fit, exhaust only 2 years old and need replacing...£130 just for the back box, and they wanted another £130 for the pipe upto the cat from the back box. Just went with the back box for now as that was what was making the racket.

Its a Rover 400 Saloon Auto and its always the backbox right on the welded join to the pipe that goes. Same with the last 400 I had.

As the pipe part is only rusting on the bottom (outside) isn't there a rust stopping treatment to use before it makes a hole?

Another £130 for a car valued at £500 market value is ridiculous.

Then again I dare say a fellow mgr forum user will reply and tell me I've been ripped off, but thought I'd go with KFit as you get the warranty. Last garage I used couldn't even be bothered to write a receipt and money went straight in his wallet!

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
Do Kwik-Fit still use Unipart exhausts?

Anyways I've just replaced the centre section (b-pipe) on a 2000 Honda Civic 1.4 auto (400 bubble shape).

Couldn't get a Unipart centre section from Partco as they said it wasn't listed, so ended up getting a Bosal part from a local factors with 2 year warranty.

Costs:

Centre section - £36.44
Rear donut gasket - £3.18
Rear nuts and bolts - £12.06
Ramp rental and some help (mates rates) - £20
Exhaust paste - £Free
Use of oxy torch - £Free

Total inc VAT £71.68, if I needed to fit a rear box then it would of been another £35 for a Bosal part.

Edit: Regarding the rotting its a combination of things, condensation, acidity, heat cycles etc not forgetting quality of the replacement parts.

·
Registered
'06 MG ZR +120 (HQM) '04 MG ZR 105 (IAB)
9,434 Posts
To be fair, 2 to 3 years is about normal life for a mild steel back section. My ZR got through 3 back sections in 6 years - fitted a stainless last time though, so that should last longer (and wasn't all that much more expensive than a standard XPart/Unipart mild steel one).

You can slow the rust on a mild steel one (the cooler back section anyway and rearmost parts of the mid section) with a coat of aluminium paint or high temperature enamel, but as you get further forward on the system, it gets hotter and even high temp paint will burn off.

However, a lot of the corrosion that causes failure, actually comes from within. Water is a normal product of combustion, so there is always water vapour in the exhaust gases, which will tend to condense in the cooler rear sections of the exhaust (particularly the rear silencer) and then causes it to corrode. This is particularly the case for cars that only do fairly short journeys and the rear section of the exhaust never gets warmed up (on long journeys, the back box can get warm enough to dry out).

As to the price, no doubt some will say they got one cheaper (probably worse quality though ;)), but I would say £130 was reasonable for a decent OEM back section.

·
Registered
7,662 Posts
Would a ZS exhaust fit? you might find a secondhand stainless zs one on the old ebay with a bit of luck (someone on here was selling one the other day iirc)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts