MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
rover_400_95_99
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone got an idea of what I should be paying to replace the Head Gasket?
It has not gone yet but as I have been advised it is the early stages then I would rather get it looked at.
I will ring round locally to get some prices but wondered if anyone could give me an idea so I don't get stung?
I take it it's not something I should consider doing myself? I am confident mechanic but only working with the usual tools etc. Would rather get it done properly if it's a problem.

Cheers

Jon

·
Registered
rover_400_95_99
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Head Gasket

Just had the timing belt replaced anyway. Don't tell me it has to be done again???

Cheers

Jon

·
Registered
rover_400_95_99
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Gasket failure cost

Sorry, 'fraid not.
Is it a very costly thing then? I need a rough idea what I should be looking at so I don't get ripped off!

Thanks

Jon

·
Registered
225 Posts
Hello Jonty

Look at my earlier posting on this forum.

My daughter in law paid just over £600 including head skim, cam belt & water pump etc.

TerryF

·
Registered
17,398 Posts
£350 to £450 is reasonable depending on what needs to be done.
If the cambelt has just been recently replaced then it could be re-used.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Can someone explain exactly how the timing belt is expensive please??? Theyre only like £20 and a bit fannying about on a sunday afternoon!!!

Yeah bout £400 is reasonable for someone to do your HG, although did my own and only came to £200 (and lots of blood sweat and tears) LOL

·
Registered
rover_400_95_99
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Head Gasket

Booked it in to the garage to let them have a look. They reckon around £350 as long as they don't find anything bad!
They do say they can do a few tests first to see if ti is that!! Will have to cross my fingers (and everything else)!!

Cheers

Jon

·
Registered
129 Posts
Well good luck with that one mate, id wager that they will say its your HG regardless of the test results because:

a) its a Rover
b) they want £350 off you

Hope you get it sorted tho!

·
Registered
rover_400_95_99
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Head Gasket

I know. They are quite fair but at the end of the day I am sure it all comes down to the money!! It's evil you know!!

Cheers

Jon

·
Registered
rover_400_95_99
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Head Gasket

Took the car to a local garage who gave a thorough inspection. He reckons that any blobs that have made it through the system may just be in there from when the cylinder head gasket was replaced last (before I bought it).
He says not to worry as there are no signs of failure and no hydrocarbons detected (in the coolant?).
Anyway he is happy there is nothing obviously wrong with it and I should no be worried!!
Can I be that lucky?!

Cheers

Jon

·
Registered
399 Posts
I believe the bit about the Timing Belt that makes it a no go job for a home/diy mechanic is the fact that it is very important to line the teeth up correctly using a special tool when you put the belt back on, whether it be new or hardly used makes no difference.

i recently had a Head Gasket replaced under a warranty, (which was worth £500), i still had to pay a good bit though, i reckon it was based on £58 an hour labour charge !!!.

·
Registered
17 Posts
If anybody is in need of a timing belt change or a head gasket replacement then get in touch. I have done lots of both items on many rover models

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
I believe the bit about the Timing Belt that makes it a no go job for a home/diy mechanic is the fact that it is very important to line the teeth up correctly using a special tool when you put the belt back on, whether it be new or hardly used makes no difference.

i recently had a Head Gasket replaced under a warranty, (which was worth £500), i still had to pay a good bit though, i reckon it was based on £58 an hour labour charge !!!.
The timing belt is the easiest part! I have changed the timing belt on my 214 and have had to remove it many a time to change the cam shaft oil seals and i have never had a problem re-timing the belt, i'm not sure what all the fuss is about???:gfight:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts