MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi whats wrong with my rover 114 gsi driveing home loud bag from under the bonnet and when i lifted the bonnet sandy brown gunge every where and the long hose which comes from the matrix to radiater which has a bleed srew on this has burst any help and advice please.

thanks jem

·
Registered
mg_zr
8,240 Posts
Replace the hose, drain / refill the cooling system, removing airlocks and warm it up following the manual advise (haynes or whatever)...

It sounds like over-pressurising could have cause it to blow, which means Head Gasket Failure..... but it's worth testing it first.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
that does indeed sound like the head gasket has gone - mine went only after 40k miles on my 114 GSi in the excat same fashion.

I was luckly that i noticed the temp needle was way past the red and managed to coast to a stop (on a unlit dual carridgeway) I noticed a big blue P sign - so limped it a few hundred yards to the lay-by. A quick look under the bonnet and i knew it was all over.

during the rebuild I could see the problem and where the gasket has failed.

if you are going to repair the car (and unless you can do the work yourself its debatable as to if it is worth it) then find a good second hand 8v head from a specalist rover breaker as your current one will probably be toast.

I would think about

head gasket and associated gaskets
cambelt
waterpump (be daft not to change it)
8v head from rover 114 or 214 should be no more than £100 to £150 for a minter
radiator - again while your at it......might aswell...

There will be a good few hours labour if your paying someone - it took me two days! one day to strip and clean - and another day for re-assembly - but that was doing a 16v conversion in the process (not recommended as it failed the emissions due to wrong ecu!)

the easiest way to fix this would be to junk the current engine - get a second hand engine from a 114 or 214 and fit that instead.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts