MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
mg_6_gt
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

Been round here a fair bit but not posted much yet, great web site and a good source of info. Love it.

Anyway got a slight problem with a leak, tends to happen on long journeys when the pressure builds up. The coolant appears to leak from the expansion tank / surrounding connctions. Done the usual tighten all the connections up etc yet it still does it.

Don't lose any hot air as such, but you know when it happens as the air isn’t as hot. I know the usual rule on watching the coolant and that, so I make sure it never runs dry.

I gather it’s either the coolant cap that failing or a damaged expansion tank. (Seems to drip from the bottom rather than the cap, and the connections are solid checked them numerous times.).

Got them two on order so should be here in a few days, just going to replace them refill and re - bleed and see if it helps.

Has anyone else has a faulty or gone faulty expansion tank? Now I know the caps go iffy as a similar thing occurred on an old metro of mine.

Also just to add, no sign over heating or HG failure all is well there. But I do notice it taking a while sometimes to get up to temp when the system is blowing hot air, so it sort of leads me to believe that pressure is escaping from somewhere. Has anyone else got any more ideas on what I should be looking at?

Thanks.

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
I would bet it's the cap and not the tank, but you might want to make sure you've got the correct 50/50 mix of antifreeze and water (distilled preferred) in there. If the mixture is very weak, it might look okay, but the boiling point will be a lot lower, so this could be causing your water to boil away, even if the cap and tank are fine.

My old 220SDI had a weak mix, and boiled it's coolant away slightly. Even with a new cap it was the same, so I topped the mixture up with neat antifreeze, and it was fine after that.

Hope this helps,
Tim

·
Registered
mg_6_gt
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply.

The coolant am using is the pre-mixed from halfords the orange one.

I've since drained it and re-filled, washed the cap and re-done all the connections - no leaks of yet. Got an airport run comming up so it will be the perfect test.

Thanks again.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts