MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bloody clocks!!!!

Right now thats over with i have a question.

When i check from cold my coolant the little orange liquid is always sitting about 2 fingers from the bottom of the tank. Is this normal or should i top it up with a little water? Just paranoid about letting it get too low.

Thanks guys

·
In the Garage
MG TF
33,655 Posts
It’s too low; when cold the level should be on or just above the centre seam of the tank. Water is better then nothing but if possible get hold of some correct coolant.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Certainly need more in there.

Pop to your local Texaco and buy some Havoline Extended life coolant. It's the stuff Rover use.
Get some distilled water and mix up a litre 50/50 concentration.
Pour into bottle until you reach the max seam.
Keep an eye on it. If it goes down again then find the leak asap.

·
Registered
17,075 Posts
Halfords sell orange OAT coolant pre mixed 50/50 in a 1Lt bottle that should last at least 3 years - unless you have an hgf OR blown hose OR corroded underfloor pipes OR corroded radiator

·
Registered
31,181 Posts
Mine was serviced 3 weeks ago and the coolant was filled up (usually about "2 fingers" from bottom).

But a check this week revealed it was back down to the two finger mark, never below!!

Checked coolant cap again and as suggested by Rob Bell's site, the centeal rivet appears to be off center, so this may be the cause.

Is this likely to happen to a new cap after only as few weeks? What causes this? I will get a new one tomorrow in case it is the problem.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.