MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I'm getting my cooling system sorted in the very near future but to be honest I've become a little paranoid about fluid loss etc.

The expanson tank on my 2000My MPi is just half full....just on the seam - maybe a bit below. This is when it is cold.

This hasn't changed in the time I've had the car. As I say I'm getting new cooling pipes and stuff along with a big service at the end of the month.

I would like to buy a bottle of coolant to use as a top up. I'm worried about how to mix it and to get the right mix.

The stuff in the MG is green but in my new Astra SRi it's pink/red.

So what sort do I buy? Can I get it ready mixed? and what would be the conequences of filling the tank up above the halw way seam mark?

Lots of questions I know.

Thanks

Dan.

·
Registered
12,799 Posts
Good morning :D

The max level of your coolant is quite normal when cold. It's just right above the seam (see pic).

Your garage hopefully knows their job, when changing the pipes the coolant system has to be bleed properly which is described very well here: http://www.mgfcar.de/bleed/index.htm

For refilling the system with new coolant there are two options

a) Ethylen glycol with inhibitors (mostly green colour)
b) OAT coolant (organic acid technology - mostly orange colour)

More about that you can find on the site I linked to. Don't mix different types of coolant.

·
Registered
mgf
62 Posts
If its got green in it after it gets the pipes and coolant changed - then stick with green.

The same applies if the coolant comes back orange.

Just don't mix them :)

Alex

1 - 4 of 4 Posts