MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heyup

This is a problem with keeps on coming back again and again, So just wonder what other people think of it.

The water bottle in my 418, keeps loosing water. Theres no leak, as I cant see one when Ive stopped. Im forever topping it up. I topped it up this morning (Was empty) And drove for half'n'Hour to college. Got there, no problem... Come back at about 4pm, turn the key. Warning light comes on...

Have a look, its now below the min level. Where the hell is it going?
The only place where I can see water coming from, is the over flow hose from the tank.

Another thing which was pointed out by a friend. The temp reads normal, But the pipes from the rad, Are stone cold... Im I right in thinking that theres no water being cooled? This cant really be the case, if it was, I would be over heating right?

So what the hell is happing? Ive got to go to france next month!

·
Registered
25,606 Posts
Fill it up with water, leaving the expansion tank lid off and start the car

Do you observe regular bubbles in the expansion tank? If so then that isn't a good sign.

Replace the cap and run the engine from cold for a minute. Are the coolant hoses pressurised? If so then that is also a bad sign.

Look for drips or white fluffy stains around all the hose joints and the radiator to try and spot any leaks.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Heyup

This is a problem with keeps on coming back again and again, So just wonder what other people think of it.

The water bottle in my 418, keeps loosing water. Theres no leak, as I cant see one when Ive stopped. Im forever topping it up. I topped it up this morning (Was empty) And drove for half'n'Hour to college. Got there, no problem... Come back at about 4pm, turn the key. Warning light comes on...

Have a look, its now below the min level. Where the hell is it going?
The only place where I can see water coming from, is the over flow hose from the tank.

Another thing which was pointed out by a friend. The temp reads normal, But the pipes from the rad, Are stone cold... Im I right in thinking that theres no water being cooled? This cant really be the case, if it was, I would be over heating right?

So what the hell is happing? Ive got to go to france next month!
Hmmm, got to be honest, this doesn't sound good.

Couple of things to try.

1. Run the engine on a fast idle (10 mins or so), does the temp gauge go up and the fan kick in? Do the pipes coming from the thermostat housing feel hot?

If not the the thermostat is not opening, you'll need to take the housing off to replace it

2. Whilst the housing is it's worth back flushing your cooling system and watching what comes out.

If white gunky stuff appears head gasket is most probably at fault.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts