MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
rover_400_95_99
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello,
I have had the HGF done before 1 year and from then because the tank is not clear i cannot see the coolant level clearly. Everytime i want to see the coolant level i must put my finger to the tank. Can i put off the tank by myself and clean it? My car is 416si 97'.

·
Premium Member
79,177 Posts
Remove the tank, it's easy.....then steam clean it out, but beware, it is difficult if not impossible to get all the gunk out, there is one baffled compartment that is almost impossible to clean out fully.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Major Ingram said:
Remove the tank, it's easy.....then steam clean it out, but beware, it is difficult if not impossible to get all the gunk out, there is one baffled compartment that is almost impossible to clean out fully.
What I did was mix up some hot water and some degreaser.
Half fill the tank and block up the holes and then shake vigorously for about 5 minutes.
Drain tank, flush several times with cold water and you should have a nice clean tank.

·
Mmmm....Rover..
10,426 Posts
Take out the tank....block up the outlets...1/4 fill with boiling water...add 1 tablespoon of washing powder and a Vanish Action Ball :err: ....put the cap back on and shake....!!

Should come out nice and clean....worked fine for me!

·
Registered
rover_400_95_99
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
so, i will put off the tank and clen it. after that i will put it back and fill with coolant and then i'll start the engine? What i must to do to avoid the air into the coolant system. i must replace all the coolant to do that?

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
You must replace the water/coolant at a 50/50 mix, until it's upto the max line on coolant tank.

Start the engine, let it warm up, maybe even take it to the end of the rd. and back to get the water flowing better.

Then top up coolant if necessary, loosen off the bleed screw (under the dizzy cap if it's the k-series engine) give it a few revs untill the water runs clear with no air bubbles, may have to do this a few times tho!

Just be carefull cos' the water will be HOT!

·
Registered
17,398 Posts
214 Si Mod'd said:
Remember you have to bleed the coolant system when the coolant is topped back up to get rid of those air-locks ;)
I don't think that will be necessary.
Just take care to keep the removed tubes upright or put something suitable in the ends so the coolant doesn't spill out and air doesn't get in.

When you replace the tank just fill with coolant, give each of the tubes a few good squeezes and then any air in the tubes will be removed and replaced with coolant.

Tip: when removing the tank don't take the cap off. You should find there will be less spilage then.

·
Registered
3,950 Posts
When i bought my car there was just filth, grease and basically s**t in there. Just disconnect the hoses, take te tank out, block up the holes, fill up with hot water, add some DAZ or alternative, bleech if its that bad, leave to rest, shake it abit, try getting a one of the bendy baby bottle cleaning things inside to clean out the surfaces and drain till its all cleared, worked for me!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Wait 'till the mizz goes out, then stick it in the dishwasher. It comes up lovely.

Does tend to make your dishes smell of antifreeze though:minxy:

Andy.

·
Registered
rover_400_95_99
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ok
I'll take the tank out and take care so the tubes remain upright and clean it. Then i'll put back the tank and refill slowly (in case the down tube has taken air) and start the engine without the cup and wait the coolant circulation and the put the cup?

·
Registered
324 Posts
Mines kind of greeny coloured too. I give the front of the car a little push to make the liqid slosh so I can see it. Much easier than messing about taking hoses off and risking an air bubble I think.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts