MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
mgf
916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got new coolant pipes fitted by the garage and I'm not sure if they are steel or stainless steel. The car as it heats up starts to make banging noises like the pipes are expanding and the bangs are noticeable loud. Eventually it stops but then as it cools down the bangs starts again and I notice even after an hour or so it's still going on. I was going to say they are clicks but they are louder than that. I have gone under the car to investigate if the pipes are touching the slam panel but I can't see anything. When you bend down by the passenger wheel and wait they come intermittently and are loud. People have turned their heads on the street to look when it starts these noises. Could anyone explain where these bangs come from. It must be the the coolant pipes but I can't find what they are clicking off. Has anyone had this issue with the pipes or radiator.

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
Can you video and upload this? as Ive never heard 'baning' from MG pipes. As you described it, it sounds like air- which is of concern that they haven bled the system. One of the problems sadly with the 'my mechanic/garage' syndrome that is fastly becoming the norm.

·
Registered
2002 MG TF VE51FTF
160 Posts
My limited DIY experience on central heating (called hammer) suggests the pipes might not have been secured properly or there is air in the system (deadly on F, TF's) either way take it back to the garage to sort out and quickly!

·
Registered
123 Posts
Think I'd give them a piece of my mind too. They charge top prices, and don't do A DECNT JOB. gets some money back or at least a credit on a future service. PatM hit it n the head, poor service is getting worse, and you have trouble even getting to speak to someone. This and last year, I took two large companies to court, and both settled out of court. I've had four unwanted car-parking fines last year, all I got rescinded, just by bothering to do something others may not bother. I do hope you resolve the matter, and quickly, feedback please?

·
Registered
mgf
916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
On start up. While driving or stopped at the lights you can hear the banging metal to metal initially I thought it was a hydrogas sphere dropping in pressure. When you park up the car it starts again as the car cools down. The coolant temp is normal no fan coming on or no overheating of the coolant. It appears to be expansion and contraction maybe sub standard coolant pipes.
Someone must have had that experience. Unless the slam panel under is too tight to the pipes. I will record it the next time I hear it.

·
Registered
1995 MGF Mpi
936 Posts
I'd guess that the pipes are hitting the underfloor reinforcement panel, which I would think would only happen if the pipes were not fastened tightly, they will not hit otherwise.

·
Registered
'10 TF135 Style
416 Posts
...plus the handbrake cable needs to be cable-tied to the pipe securing 'T's after the pipes have been changed; it's easy to forget this esp as the cable ties aren't always included in the kit...
Time for a look underneath, I reckon.
Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Automotive tire
Tool Bumper Wood Automotive exterior Road surface

ps mine are s/steel. A few years ago when I got them mild steel were only slightly cheaper and painted black.
pps those underfloor plate bolts that you can see on the very lhs of my pic are usually well-rusted in place, and easily break. I wonder if a couple broke when 'gunned' and they didn't take the time to drill them out and replace them...:(

·
Registered
1995 MGF Mpi
936 Posts
...plus the handbrake cable needs to be cable-tied to the pipe securing 'T's after the pipes have been changed; it's easy to forget this esp as the cable ties aren't always included in the kit...
That is the positive wire from the battery to the starter, not the handbrake cables. The handbrake cables run inside the car, under the centre arm rest.

·
Registered
'10 TF135 Style
416 Posts
Oops...embarrassed😩...yes of course! But it still might not be secured properly.

·
Registered
mgf
916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Time for a look underneath, I reckon.
View attachment 137505 View attachment 137506

ps mine are s/steel. A few years ago when I got them mild steel were only slightly cheaper and painted black.
pps those underfloor plate bolts that you can see on the very lhs of my pic are usually well-rusted in place, and easily break. I wonder if a couple broke when 'gunned' and they didn't take the time to drill them out and replace them...:(
Ya I'd agree with you there I need to get that reinforcing plate off to inspect but I don't have a car hoist does anyone know Mike Brewer from Wheeler Dealers he has a car lift

·
Registered
1995 MGF Mpi
936 Posts
You don't need a lift to take the reinforcement plate off, just jack stands will do, that's all I have in the garage.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts