MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hmmm I have an 04 TF (June 04), and thought I was oK with the coolant alarm thing since I have the light on the dash, wires going to the bottom of the expansion tank and a float inside it.

Not so! I turned the ignition on so the dash lights up, waited till the coolant low warning light went out (it always comes on briefly when the ignition is switched on).

Then I took the cap off, and pushed the float right down with a screwdriver.

Nothing. Nada. Zilch. Eff all. Going to have to investigate this further. No doubt there will be expense involved. There always is.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
I checked my wifes 2005 ZR to make sure the coolant level float was working. So ignition on, press the float down in the Coolant Expansion tank and wait, and wait. It took about 3 minutes for the light on the dash to come on! I'm sure by the time we had noticed the light on the dash all the coolant would be lost and maybe damage to the engine.

·
Registered
11,233 Posts
Definitely something wrong there (in both cases). You only need push the float down 1/4" on mine before the light comes on, instantly.
In fact when the car was new, the coolant level was just below the seam on the bottle and the light used to come on every time I went round a left hand bend a bit too sportily :lol: so I've topped it up to just above the seam and its been fine since.

·
Registered
mg_tf
52 Posts
Three minutes does seem to be a long time for the driver to be warned about low coolant but there should be some form of delay built in. For instance going up hill or enthusiastic driving could causing the sensor to dip sending the driver into unnecessary panic as their coolant dashlight flashes?

I have not seen one of these units but that could be a reason for the delay between sensor and dashlight.

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am wondering whether when the car was in the garage for overheating repair when I first got it they replaced the expansion bottle.

The replaced:

Coolant pipes
radiator
thermostat
waterpump
all the gaskets
several expansion bottle caps

I don't think that the expansion bottle is the correct one. The float has nothing on it, its just a donut shaped bit of plastic that bobs on a shaft.

I rekon they replaced it with an old one!

This garage was not my home garage, it was one down south. They were particulalry useless. I will never use them again. I need a description or a photo of what the float mechanisim looks like on a working car.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts