MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
mg_zs
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I replaced my old Rover 620 with an 04 plate ZS 120+ (1.8) about a week ago. The car has only done 18K but a week after buying I was doing basic check of fluids etc.. and the coolant expansion tank had dried up, leaving a brownish/red residue. I checked fluids etc before taking car from dealers ( as I was driving about 200 miles back home) and they seemed fine. Can't see any obvious leaks so topped coolant mixture back up to MAX level but it's gone a darkish colour and liquid going into expansion tank at the top seems also reddish IN COLOUR. I should point out at this stage that I'm no mechanic and can deal with routine maintenance only so apologies for the lack of any technical jargon I should have used. I'd appreciate any words of wisdom that might be of help.
THANKS

·
Registered
mg_zs
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks For This Info. Mark... As I've Topped Up With Non Oat Coolant, Will This Have Any Negative Effect On The Cooling System. Also, Does Anybody Have Any Ideas Why Coolant Loss Was So Severe?
Cheers
David

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
you are not supposed to mix ordinary antifreeze with the oat stuff ...as they are two different types of chemicals and non compatible with each other .

so drain and flush refill with one or the other.

coolant loss

could be the dreaded head gasket ..replace with land-rover one.
check for coolant in the oil ..or oil in the coolant

or leak from water pump ..replace pump if it leaks ..unlikly at low mileage

or inlet manifold gasket ...a known fault ..replace with green inlet gasket

check these out first.

All the best..mark

·
Registered
rover_200_coupe
694 Posts
I replied to a previous similar post about 2 months ago where someone had a similar colour.. (Almost looked like blood) He had done the same, mixed two different coolants, one pink, one blue. I had said I keep meaning to do an experiment where I mix the two and see what happens in some test tubes.

Ultimately, you have exactly the same effect as he did so I would say its probably the mix, get it flushed out and re filled (and bled) but reckon this will sort it out.

But it is important to find out why you lost it in the first place.

Let us know how you get on.

Sean

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
get your coolant replaced and use a leak stoper powder with the new coolant, that might fix your problem. There's no need to worry as long as your oil colour and textures seems normal.

·
Registered
rover_200_coupe
694 Posts
get your coolant replaced and use a leak stoper powder with the new coolant, that might fix your problem. There's no need to worry as long as your oil colour and textures seems normal.
The ONLY leak stopper you should use is K seal..don't use Radweld or anything like that, as it can block the waterways and cause more damage than just a leak.

Have a look here:
http://www.kalimex.co.uk/section.html?secpath=01.04.&pgid=17

·
Registered
rover_45
11,619 Posts
The ONLY leak stopper you should use is K seal..don't use Radweld or anything like that, as it can block the waterways and cause more damage than just a leak.

Have a look here:
http://www.kalimex.co.uk/section.html?secpath=01.04.&pgid=17
I am sorry to disagree with you there. Radweld is just as good as K seal, another company called Greased Lightning do another good one. There are some engines that this stuff should never be used on and the Honda 2.5 and 2.7 as used in the 800 come to mind as thats noted on the back of the RadWeld bottle. All these products can block water ways thats the idea. I have never used K-Seal but have used the other two with no long term effects.

·
Registered
rover_200_coupe
694 Posts
I am sorry to disagree with you there. Radweld is just as good as K seal, another company called Greased Lightning do another good one. There are some engines that this stuff should never be used on and the Honda 2.5 and 2.7 as used in the 800 come to mind as thats noted on the back of the RadWeld bottle. All these products can block water ways thats the idea. I have never used K-Seal but have used the other two with no long term effects.
Sejin, usually I am in agreement with your comments but The ZS 105/110/120 use the K series engine along with some 400's, The K series is one engine that you can't use Radweld in.. even the biscuit powder can be equally as damaging due to blocking of the water channels. So while Radweld works fine in some engines (Not sure of 180 and TD as they use the KV6 and L series) It is a far better option to use K seal if in any doubt. I have used it, many members on here use it and the AA carry and recommend it.

You can't just go sticking any old sealant in due to the damage overall it can do with long term usage.. K seal is designed to stay in the system So to say radweld is as good as K seal.... I would have to disagree with you there. Ultimately, there is no better fix than finding out why it is leaking in the first place and repairing that permanently.

·
Registered
mg_zs
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hgf Confirmed

tOOK CAR TO LOCAL GARAGE WHO PERFORMED A PRESSURE TEST ON THE COOLING SYSTEM AND USED SOME KIND OF CHEMICAL TO DETECT PRESENCE OF CARBON MONOXIDE??? ANYHOW, HE CONFIRMED HEAD GASKET IS IN PROCESS OF BLOWING BUT NO WATER/OIL CONTAMINATION YET OR OIL IN THE COOLANT...MUST BE A RECORD...TAKING DELIVERY OF A CAR AND GETTING HGF WITHIN A WEEK. NEEDLESS TO SAY I HADN'T YET ARRANGED A WARRANTY AS WASN'T KEEN ON THE DEALERS. THEY ARE PLAYING IT DOWN AND QUESTIONING THE VALIDITY OF THE MECHANIC'S DIAGNOSIS..HAVE TAKEN IT TO TRADING STANDARDS BUT I MAY BE UP **** CREEK..MECHANIC QUOTED CIRCA £500 FOR REPAIR...I FEEL A RIGHT IDIOT!

·
Registered
cityrover
3,409 Posts
End of the day, it's in the engineers financial interest to find a fault with your car, and the sellers financial interest to say it's as it should be, in full working order.

"In the process of blowing" does sound a little dodgy to me. I'm by no means an expert, but HGF is black and white. It's either failed or not, theres no real inbetween - and they certainly can't tell you otherwise without taking the head off and looking at it.

I'd be tempted to get a couple more opinions both from other users of these forums and from other local mechanics. There are many other issues that can cause those symptoms and some of them can indeed act as a catalyst for HGF.

And of course, if it turns out the mechanic's being naughty, report him.
If you do have a problem such as HGF, report the people you bought it from. Either way, you shouldn't be out of pocket because of someone else's mistake.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
There is an imbetween and sometimes it could be imbetween for days months or years.

but if the ball was in my court and i had just been sold that car ...my definition would be gone..when making a claim against them .

and it was gone before they sold it to you.

all the best.mark

1 - 15 of 15 Posts