MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
rover_400_95_99
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Don't know if this has been covered before, but my dad's noticed coolant leaking onto the garage floor, and when he checks the engine he can see coolant running down from roughly where the top of the engine meets the bottom half. We checked the expansion tank for signs of HGF but there's no creamy gunk mixed in, but he is topping up the coolant at a rate of knots now. He also said that there's a smell on coolant inside the car whilst driving and also when he uses the windscreen washer?

Any ideas?

·
Registered
4,687 Posts
What kind of car is it?

It could be a hose leaking or split where it connects to the block/head, where the hose clip is. sometines on smaller hoseclips corrosion hits the screw thread, they loose their tension and hence the leak.

Alternatively it may be the waterpump, on my K-series I had years ago that did happen, and because you couldn't see the origin of the leak until you took the belt covers off, it did at first glance look a bit like HGF.

CAM.

·
Registered
mg_zr
8,240 Posts
Get it checked asap, as over-heating will blow the Headgasket. If he get's it sorted now, it could be cheap.

·
Registered
rover_400_95_99
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's a 416 sli, we can't see the water round the back of the block, only at the front and at the side. The area it seems to be leaking from is just above where the manifold is attached to the engine but it's not leaking from the manifold. We've checked the hoses, they seem all OK

1 - 7 of 7 Posts