MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey peeps,

Yet another thing that has gone wrong - last week was the downpipe snapping in 2, this week looks like the coolant hose at the back of the block is split or similar cos' it's leaking coolant.

Was driving home and saw the temp gauge go just above 1/2 - which it never does, so i stopped as soon as i saw it. Checked the coolant and there was nothing in!! :shake:

I had checked it this morn and was fine and dandy! Thought there must be something amiss.

Waited 30mins for it to cool down a bit, limped back home not going over 2k and coasting down hills, just about made it before the needle went over 1/2.

Put some warm water in it and checked everywhere and could hear some liquid seeping from somewhere, looks like it's the hose at the back of the block - Just before it go's into the thermostat housing :(

Any1 know how much a new one or should I get one from a scrappy?

Also could i possibley fit the new hose without taking the inlet manifold off :s2h:

Cheers - Really P'd off at the mo as you can probabley imagine (Preying it hasnt done anything to the HG :yikes: )

·
Administrator
79,177 Posts
Probably the steel pipe running from the thermostat housing to the bottom hose connection.

They commonly rust through and leak like this.

Get a new one, don't bother with a 2nd hand one, unless it looks new!

About £20-worth IIRC

I bet it's leaking where I have arrowed on the pic...

btw, you'll need a new O ring to fit it - CDU3858

Attachments

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are thge pipes all the same from the early model engines to the later model engines or can you fit a later part to an early K?

Just that i thought the hose at the back was rubber? But also my dad has a spare 1 that look's in farely good nick :D

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
found out what it was - the metal pipe had actually come off the thermostat housing.

2 main reasons are :- Because the pipe wasnt fixed to the block + Because the rubber O ring had fatigued a bit :(

Fitted new rubber O ring and fixed pipe so it is fairly solid :)

·
Registered
mini_the_real_one
11,237 Posts
Jay, i'll have to pop over sometime and take a look at that car for you. its just been givin you grief :(

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
34,938 Posts
was it you flying down by burnt tree island last night, i overtook you in my SO's brava, must have been touching at least three figures as you go left up the hill towards mezza?

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What time approx m8y? Where exactly are we talking?

I know i was round that area last night hehe

Probabley was :lol: Was I racing you lol

·
Registered
5,355 Posts
tbh, with it having 129k miles on your motor, its gona have parts that are suffering fatigue really, save up your cash and fit a 1.6K series when you can, be easier than replacing parts on an engine that has done a quite a few miles. Also more power too, so best of both :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts