MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I fixed my HGF a week ago, with help from the gurus on here.

125 miles later, went to a party last night, pulled up on the drive, got out of car, and heard a snake hissing under the bonnet. "Oh no" I calmy thought to myself (yeah right!) as I lifted the lid.

Water was spurting out of a coolant hose, from a tiny pin hole leak, at the top of a T-junction (moulded rubber hose).

Q: How can I bodge it until I get to a Motor Factors for replacement.

Duct Tape?
Soldering iron to melt the hole away?
Piece of garde hose and jubilee clips?
Bicycle repair patch?
.....?

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
Bit of plastic plumbing tube, cut the hole section out of the hose and jubilee clip either end onto the plastic plumbing pipe.

Be careful though, as there is no raised area on the plumbing pipe, so if you cain it, it may blow a hose off.

I used this on my Ti for a couple of days while I waited for a new hose though.

·
Registered
rover_400_95_99
179 Posts
Be very careful with this as i repaired mine and the hose ended up splitting, if it does this then bang hgf so keep an eye on your temp gauge and id recommend fitting a new hose

Mark

·
Registered
17,398 Posts
I had the exact same thing in almost the same place. I simply got an oversized screw and screwed it in tight. Then for extra security I put a tie wrap around it to prevent it popping out.

It's been like that for 4 months now and not leaked once.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks fo rthe replies guys, I have used a piece of old pond liner, impact addehsive, duck tape, and cable ties. It appears to be holding.

Went to halfords, the only car place open around here on a sunday, and was informed if it wasn't the top or bottom rad hose then they couldn't order one!

Luckily was talking to sister this afternoon, and she has a friend at caterpillar, who can get me the right one. So as long as it lasts a couple of days, should be fine. No long journeys planned. I may even ask him to get me a price for all the hoses, if one has gone how long before the next one, assuming all aged the same. Just belt and braces.

·
Registered
5,662 Posts
The hose with the T piece on had a bleed point on earlier models, this hose is pants and has been superceded to one without a bleed point.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts