MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A bit concerned by the colour my coolant has turned... outside the tank it looks dark brown, if you look in the lid it's kind of a clear, greeny colour. No coolant loss, no oil loss, but should I be worried?

These pictures:
http://imroberts.no-ip.com/07062006012.jpg
http://imroberts.no-ip.com/07062006013.jpg
were taken outside

These:
http://imroberts.no-ip.com/07062006014.jpg
http://imroberts.no-ip.com/07062006015.jpg
http://imroberts.no-ip.com/07062006016.jpg
http://imroberts.no-ip.com/07062006017.jpg
http://imroberts.no-ip.com/07062006018.jpg
were taken in the garage using the flash

·
Registered
cityrover
13,055 Posts
Cant really tell from the pictures, its not the correct colour I can tell you that much. Theres no mayo so you might have caught it early if it is the gasket thats going. Best to do a compression test to make sure.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know it's not the right colour - it was orange last time I checked! Where can I get a compression test and how much will it cost?

·
Mmmm....Rover..
10,426 Posts
Strange that it has turned from orange to green!

Has the coolant been topped up lately?

Have the cooling system flushed and refilled with the proper OAT coolant and see how it goes.

If the coolant tank is dirty on the inside, remove it and wash out with boiling water and washing powder.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Last time it was topped up was christmas... I do keep a regular eye on my fluid levels though, read about too many hgf's on here not to!

Gonna drop the car in tomorrow and get the coolant flushed and changed if they can fit me in at the AA Centre :) I'll ask them to do a compression test too if they can

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
I don't know if you know this

but there is a coolant made by Holt's i think ....that actually is made to turn another colour when the head gasket starts to fail.

me wonders if you have that stuff in your car.

all the best.mark

·
Mmmm....Rover..
10,426 Posts
A compression test isn't going to show anything useful in this particular case.

A cooling system pressure test will show up any leaks, a "sniff" test for any combustion gases in the coolant tank will be more revealing.

What type (colour) of coolant was added at top up time?

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
technozen said:
A compression test isn't going to show anything useful in this particular case.

A cooling system pressure test will show up any leaks, a "sniff" test for any combustion gases in the coolant tank will be more revealing.

What type (colour) of coolant was added at top up time?
yeah techno is onto something, because if you added blue antifreeeze to orange ..then it would end up a greeny brown colour.

all the best..mark

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Should the "sniff test" be performed with the engine running?

The coolant added was the pink/orange stuff

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Without meaning to question anyones advice... wouldn't the colour change show up quicker than 6 months down the line?

·
Premium Member
mg_zt_t
21,916 Posts
Last top up Christmas... more importantly, when was the last time the system was flushed and thoroughly cleaned. That can make all the difference.

Here's what a neglected Rover coolant expansion bottle and its contents can look like...

Periodic flushing, cleaning and correct coolant renewal can result in it looking like this - no need to do it more frequently than perhaps at three year intervals - the car here being my twelve year old Rover 220 Coupe Turbo I sold last year - but frequent visual checks of coolant level and condition is wise - in any car. When the expansion bottle is this clean a level check takes one second.... try doing that in a filthy one like in the first illustration.

Whenever I buy a used car I intend to use and keep, the second thing I do is flush and clean the cooling system. The first thing i do is ensure the brakes and tyres are up to the mark.

P. S. I have never had a professional cooling system flush and coolant renewal done to my satisfaction - be it main dealer or competent local one man band outfit.

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
1,496 Posts
imroberts said:
Should the "sniff test" be performed with the engine running?

The coolant added was the pink/orange stuff
Yes.

Not sure about your anti-freeze question. If you've used Holts then you'll need to find out what any colour change means. I'd give the system a good flush and have it refilled properly, cleaning the tank and watching for any other signs of HGF.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I've personally not used Holts... only bought the car last November and topped it up on December... it's a 2003 so I'm guessing it's still on it's original coolant so probably due a change anyway!

I'll get a coolant system pressure check and a flush/change done when I have the chance. Would like to do it myself really but I don't have the confidence :(

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
1,496 Posts
imroberts said:
I've personally not used Holts... only bought the car last November and topped it up on December... it's a 2003 so I'm guessing it's still on it's original coolant so probably due a change anyway!

I'll get a coolant system pressure check and a flush/change done when I have the chance. Would like to do it myself really but I don't have the confidence :(
To be honest, the K-Series isn't easy to fill properly, getting a garage with a vacuum filling system is the best bet. So many horror stories on here of overheating following a coolant change, even at a MGR dealer, so choose your garage wisely.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Spoke to my local AA Centre and Rover dealer yesterday... different opinions.

AA Centre said it could well be HGF, with the age/mileage of the car, and it would be a good idea to get a "block check" done rather than changing the coolant... this would cost about £35 and would tell them whether the HG was on it's way... Can anyone explain what this test is and is it worth having done? On the other hand, though, he said if the HG was gonna go then it was gonna go regardless, so equally is there any point paying for a check, or just wait and pray? :D He also said that if it was on its way then swapping the coolant could aggravate the issue... something to do with the size of a particle of water compared with a particle of coolant... is this true also?

Went to the Rover dealer after and basically said my coolant had gone brown. They told me that if I wasn't experiencing any other symptoms of HGF then there wasn't much point doing anything until other symptoms appeared... even said there wasn't much point swapping the coolant unless there was a physical problem!

Now I don't have a clue what do do... Anyone!?

·
Registered
645 Posts
are you good with tools and engines? if you are id say to just replace the head gasket yourself and change the coolant

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
karl210 said:
are you good with tools and engines? if you are id say to just replace the head gasket yourself and change the coolant
I am pretty good with any job I set my mind on doing... but quite frankly I don't have the confidence to try replacing a head gasket myself...

·
Registered
129 Posts
as long as all the "air bleed" points are open and the heater is set to the hot position then you cant really go wrong when changing the coolant...also once the system is fully "bled" of any air its adviceable to run the car with the header tank cap off for a minute or two to double check all possible excess air can leave the system..then fit the cap and make sure the cooling fan comes on as usual making a note of the temp gauge..let the system completely cool and re-check the coolant level...top up as necesary..should be straight forward..

1 - 20 of 23 Posts