MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Convoy to Downing Street anyone?

Anyone remember when the ZR club arrived at Curborough? That was a sight to see.

It's just a thought, but would a large aggregation of MGR vehicles in the vicinity of Downing Street as a show of support and enthusiasm for MGR be a realistic possibility?

I don't mean a protest, more of a gentle reminder where the hearts of the electorate are.

Timing would ideally be just before the evening news...

Can it be done?

·
Registered
266 Posts
This is ridiculous.
Point me in the direction of the piece of statute or common law that says that a government has to give aid to a PRIVATE BUSINESS CONCERN RUN FOR PROFIT that is going through financial difficulites.

Oh that's right - there isn't. The political climate of social democracy - which is what you're arguing for, i.e. government intervention in the economy - is long gone. Since the election of Margaret Thatcher, a lot of once proud British industries with long and prestigious technical heritages - such as the coal, steel, and shipbuilding industries - have all disappeared. There was no government help to aid them, and these affected literally hundreds of thousands employees, not the 15,000 that MGR employ. We're now in the era of stand alone or fall alone business, witness Marconi, Corus or any of the DotCom companies.

Maybe you should have a drive-by protest at the homes of the Phoenix Four who have amassed an estimated £40 million pension fund for themselves while their workers face a pensions fund blackhole?

·
Registered
8,428 Posts
Don't think Blair will be in 10 Downing Street, guys.
He is off to pull votes in regions of marginal seats, like those in Birmingham. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
266 Posts
I hate to post twice in succession, but irony or ironies has just hit me.
Mihir2002, it says in your avatar that you're 'Tory Boy' Surely you should be telling MGR workers to 'get on your bikes' and get a new job, that MGR should become competitive or fall, that it is not government business to get involved in the economy, the market will deliver with it's invisible hand etc etc just like the Tories did during the Miners Strike of 1984?

·
Registered
751 Posts
Tom Loughlin said:
I hate to post twice in succession, but irony or ironies has just hit me.
Mihir2002, it says in your avatar that you're 'Tory Boy' Surely you should be telling MGR workers to 'get on your bikes' and get a new job, that MGR should become competitive or fall, that it is not government business to get involved in the economy, the market will deliver with it's invisible hand etc etc just like the Tories did during the Miners Strike of 1984?
I dont remeber the tories of 1984...I wasnt born then...I only know the tories of today.

·
Registered
881 Posts
I believe it was Edward Heath's Tory government that nationalised Rolls-Royce in 1971. The phrase at the time was "national icon." And that surely applies to MG Rover, even if only in a purely symbolic sense.

Being in favour of less government interference in industry surely does not preclude loans being given at commercial rates, which is what is suggested with MGR.

·
Registered
mg_maestro
701 Posts
Tom Loughlin said:
Maybe you should have a drive-by protest at the homes of the Phoenix Four who have amassed an estimated £40 million pension fund for themselves while their workers face a pensions fund blackhole?

I would pay to do that!

·
Registered
266 Posts
I dont remeber the tories of 1984...I wasnt born then...I only know the tories of today
Read a book then.
British Coal, British Steel and the shipbuilding businesses of the Clyde & Tyne went under during the 1980s, the government refused to help. Total estimated layoff = 500,000 people. And these were nationally owned industries, not a PRIVATE BUSINESS.

Besides which, the Conservative Party still believes in a free market does it not? Free market economics dictate that people will buy whatever product is best for them - Rover are uncompetitive therefore do not deserve to survicve. Harsh, but then according to Thatcher, Major and Howard the 'market will deliver'.

This is off point though. Nobody has still given me a reason WHY the government should 'loan' MGR the money (although without the uncertain SAIC deal the loan could not be paid back)

·
Registered
881 Posts
Besides which, the Conservative Party still believes in a free market does it not? Free market economics dictate that people will buy whatever product is best for them - Rover are uncompetitive therefore do not deserve to survicve. Harsh, but then according to Thatcher, Major and Howard the 'market will deliver'.
I believe we have a Labour government at present, though.

And anyway, governments and their reputations are just as much a part of the free market system as companies. If Blair believes that he will attract/retain more 'customers' (i.e. voters) through supporting MGR, it is not very different to a company believing it will attract/retain more customers through spending money on some new promotion or feature. It's almost an investment on Blair's part.

And yes, it's public money (as opposed to Labour Party money), but the mandate of being elected to government allows the Treasury to spend the public's money on ventures such as this.

I'd rather £100 million was lost on MGR than £1,000 million on the Millennium Dome, for example.

·
Registered
21,131 Posts
Can we please keep this away from party politics? Otherwise the thread will be locked. A shame for what is in my opinion, a rather good idea.

The other alternative would be a slow moving convoy to Heathrow Airport. A few missed flights and major traffic congestion in the South East would soon cost the taxpayer more than £100m ;)

John

·
Registered
488 Posts
JohnSwitzer said:
Can we please keep this away from party politics? Otherwise the thread will be locked. A shame for what is in my opinion, a rather good idea.

The other alternative would be a slow moving convoy to Heathrow Airport. A few missed flights and major traffic congestion in the South East would soon cost the taxpayer more than £100m ;)

John
Heh :) i'll go put a bit more fuel in.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Tom Loughlin said:
This is ridiculous.
Point me in the direction of the piece of statute or common law that says that a government has to give aid to a PRIVATE BUSINESS CONCERN RUN FOR PROFIT that is going through financial difficulites.
Farm subsidies.

Everyone moans about them but they forget how in WWII the nations inability to provide enough food for its population meant that it was relying on the north atlantic convoys. Therefore it is necessary to maintain food production in case of national emergency.

Next question please.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Farm subsidies.
Everyone moans about them but they forget how in WWII the nations inability to provide enough food for its population meant that it was relying on the north atlantic convoys. Therefore it is necessary to maintain food production in case of national emergency
Yes, because there is a chance of a huge war that would threaten the sea lanes between the US-UK in the near future, which wouldn't result in a nuclear war. So that is a very important reason to keep farm subsidies. Incidentally, farmers don't produce enough food within this country to support the populace. The fact that the farm subsidy system (CAP) is actually part of an international trading system that ensures that European foodstuffs can be sold on the international market at sub-cost pricing (therefore undercutting local produce) is neither here nor there.

Oh, and forgot to mention that farm subsidies are an EU programme, not statute or common law. And I don't agree with them either!!!

·
Registered
446 Posts
Tom Loughlin said:
Yes, because there is a chance of a huge war that would threaten the sea lanes between the US-UK in the near future, which wouldn't result in a nuclear war. So that is a very important reason to keep farm subsidies. Incidentally, farmers don't produce enough food within this country to support the populace. The fact that the farm subsidy system (CAP) is actually part of an international trading system that ensures that European foodstuffs can be sold on the international market at sub-cost pricing (therefore undercutting local produce) is neither here nor there.
It doesn't have to be a war, just a national emergency. And not enough food is better than no food.

·
Registered
469 Posts
It's a shame to see Rover in trouble and potentially go under.. But I'm with Tom on this one, it's a private company and not the governments responsibility..
*Quick edit* Anyone hear on the news today that suppliers are refusing to supply rover because of the fears of them going under!? Slippery slope I'm afraid

1 - 20 of 63 Posts