MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Considering An MG TF: What The Common Faults?

I'm considering buying a '52 plate MG TF 135 in Trophy Blue from a local garage.

What are the common faults with this car and how much should I be aiming to pay for it?

:)

·
Registered
249 Posts
I'm not sure of the common faults - but this is a nice looking car. I'm sure someone will be around to help you soon. Also welcome to the forum.:happy:

·
In the Garage
MG TF
32,999 Posts
Head gasket failures are the main thing to look out for on 2002 and early 2003 cars (between 20K to 30K miles) but otherwise the build quality is better then the latter cars, just make sure that the 4th service has been done or factor in a £500 bill if it’s not.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Head gasket failures are the main thing to look out for on 2002 and early 2003 cars (between 20K to 30K miles) but otherwise the build quality is better then the latter cars, just make sure that the 4th service has been done or factor in a £500 bill if it’s not.
What's included in the fourth service, cambelt and tensioners?

·
Registered
5,647 Posts
I'm considering buying a '52 plate MG TF 135 in Trophy Blue from a local garage.

What are the common faults with this car and how much should I be aiming to pay for it?

:)
As Chris says above and also check window regulators and door solenoids do their job!..

Given the time of year you will be paying top price, so I would say around £5.5-£6K.... perhaps more at a dealer.

·
Registered
33,210 Posts
Check the tyres. Not expensive to replace but if you have different makes front/rear or feathering then the car can stear like a pig. If all is well it is sweet. Take it for a drive and listen for any untoward noises etc, but remember, drive it like it is yours prefererably without the salesman for a good hour.

Check oil and coolant for signs of contamination.

Central locking can go but isn't difficult to fix. Mine whent within a week of buying it.

One major problem of owning a TF I've found, is it is difficult to get rid of the smile whenever you drive it or look at it.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Since when was cambelt and tensioner part of the service?

When my tensioner came off 7k miles after the cambelt was changed on the 5yr service I was advised replacing the tensioner wasn't a required part of the service.

Or do TF owners get a better service?

·
Registered
230 Posts
I see. A bit surprising that this forum's advice can be more helpful than a franchised dealer's. I am sure you must have saved many thousands of pounds of MG owners' hard earned over the years.

·
Registered
17,819 Posts
We put our collective experience of this car together.

Some of us have had no problems at all, others, like yourself have had serious things happen (like the tensioner giving up). We all learn from each others experience, and can offer advice accordingly.

And, yes, whilst it may cost people short term slightly more of their hard-earned, as you say, long term, we may be saving people a lot of money, and allowing em to continue to enjoy their cars. :)

·
Registered
mg_tf
1,648 Posts
common faults hey? hmmm well cleaned the car yesterday took it out for a spin today was extemly polished and buffed hehe..common faults include on coming cars driving towards you as they are staring at ur car. and boy racers up ur arse constantly then othertaking while while coming traffic nearly hits into them. well that was myexperience today anyway =|

1 - 14 of 14 Posts