MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all.
I live in a country with ridiculously high car prices and limited availability. Given that, I decided to look for a weekend drive car and my sight fell on a 1998 MGF. Despite being 22 years old, the asked price is still over 7000 euro... The goal is to have a car that is fun to drive and fast/strong... From all the reviews I understand that stock MGF doesn't exactly hit these spots... But is it possible to build it to become MX5-alike?

·
Premium Member
290 Posts
You would be better off with a TF but with any old car, you are going to have to know how to work on cars. The TF doesnt have gas-suspension and there are more of them still on the road.
As the previous poster said- the vvc 1800 cc is a very fast car but like all close-tollerance engines, it has to be well-maintained.
I had my TF160 for 4 years now and I brought it as a toy to work on and play with- ive a few other cars/bikes and i didnt envisage using the MG for too many miles. Im also semi-retired. ive done 20k in 4 years in it and it has been very reliable- which is a suprise, as one of my sons had one when he lived here and his wasnt! But his was newer than mine and looked a lot nicer. So they can be good cars, but if you read this forum- it will have you wondering.
Ive had the local Guru (Russell) agound to do the head and belts- to be honest, its not worth my while getting that bit wrong
Ive replaced the rear callipers and all discs/pads
Ive repalced the exhaust system.
Ive replaced engine mounts- some of them.
All the rest has been general maintenace- oh, ive wire-brushed and undersealed/painted it underside.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks! Unfortunately we dont have TFs here... What are the pros and cons of the gas suspension?

·
Premium Member
290 Posts
Gas suspension is fine until it corrodes/rusts and leaks. Replacement spheres are rare as hens-teeth and remanufactured. Most of us replace it all with coil/overs.

·
Registered
classic_mg
16 Posts
Gas suspension is fine until it corrodes/rusts and leaks. Replacement spheres are rare as hens-teeth and remanufactured. Most of us replace it all with coil/overs.
I've had my spheres re-gassed. one which was past repair was replaced - all very satisfactory and a reasonable price.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts