MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all.
I live in a country with ridiculously high car prices and limited availability. Given that, I decided to look for a weekend drive car and my sight fell on a 1998 MGF. Despite being 22 years old, the asked price is still over 7000 euro... The goal is to have a car that is fun to drive and fast/strong... From all the reviews I understand that stock MGF doesn't exactly hit these spots... But is it possible to build it to become MX5-alike?

·
Premium Member
360 Posts
You would be better off with a TF but with any old car, you are going to have to know how to work on cars. The TF doesnt have gas-suspension and there are more of them still on the road.
As the previous poster said- the vvc 1800 cc is a very fast car but like all close-tollerance engines, it has to be well-maintained.
I had my TF160 for 4 years now and I brought it as a toy to work on and play with- ive a few other cars/bikes and i didnt envisage using the MG for too many miles. Im also semi-retired. ive done 20k in 4 years in it and it has been very reliable- which is a suprise, as one of my sons had one when he lived here and his wasnt! But his was newer than mine and looked a lot nicer. So they can be good cars, but if you read this forum- it will have you wondering.
Ive had the local Guru (Russell) agound to do the head and belts- to be honest, its not worth my while getting that bit wrong
Ive replaced the rear callipers and all discs/pads
Ive repalced the exhaust system.
Ive replaced engine mounts- some of them.
All the rest has been general maintenace- oh, ive wire-brushed and undersealed/painted it underside.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks! Unfortunately we dont have TFs here... What are the pros and cons of the gas suspension?

·
Premium Member
360 Posts
Gas suspension is fine until it corrodes/rusts and leaks. Replacement spheres are rare as hens-teeth and remanufactured. Most of us replace it all with coil/overs.

·
Registered
classic_mg
26 Posts
Gas suspension is fine until it corrodes/rusts and leaks. Replacement spheres are rare as hens-teeth and remanufactured. Most of us replace it all with coil/overs.
I've had my spheres re-gassed. one which was past repair was replaced - all very satisfactory and a reasonable price.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, not allot of options on the local market. Badicly found one guy that has 3 (!!!) MGF and he is selling them all (been trying to sell them for the last 3 years). He claims he used to have 7!!!
The white one is 97, the black one 98 and the red one is also 97. All VVC.
I'm somewhat "scared" when someone is that strange (7 MGFs!!!) And the fact that he sounds strange on the phone but no one else seems to have them for sale...
I didn't go to see them yet but I will next week... What should I look for? What are the rustwise problematic locations? How do I know of it has a head gasket issue? How important is the condition of the interior (meaning, can I get all the parts to restore it or I should get a car with good interior)? Is it worth OBD scanning it or back then there was to real error logging? What else?
I'm more inclined for the red one...

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts