MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, i posted on here a few days back saying i think ive had HGF on my 2001 F, however a mate of mine doesn't think this is the case. The symptoms i had are as follows,
Ill be driving along on the motorway at about 80/90MPh and then the air coming out of the vents would suddenly go cold and the coolant temp gague would start to rise above halfway to about 3/4, i havn't slowed down or im not in heavy traffic it would just happen, then the air coming out of the vents would go warm again and the coolant temp would return to below halfway quite quickly. This went on a few times, and then each time this would happen the coolent temp gague would get closer and closer to hitting the red with each occurence of the air going cold from the vents. eventually i stopped the car and when i went to check the water expansion tank i could hear the water boiling (obviously becasue it was hot from being near hitting the red). Now i thought it was HGF but the car was still running with no loss of power, and apperently if your head gasket goes you get a whole host of other symptoms which i havn't had, i mean the colour of my oil is fine with no mayo like substance in their. I hope my description of the symptoms is clear and if anyone has any ideas as to what is wrong i would love to hear from you. Thanks.​

·
In the Garage
MG TF
33,285 Posts
Sounds like it could be an air lock in the cooling system, has the coolant recently been changed? I would have it checked out ASAP otherwise it will be a HGF.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hi thanks for your reply Chris, yeah in the service history of my car there was a HGF at 32000 miles in which everything was done including coolant change, there was another coolant change at 42000 miles when I bought the car due to a broken radiator the car has now done 52000 miles. Since the coolant change at 42000 the only thing ive had to do is top it up like you would any other car. their have been no significant drops in the coolent level until that fateful day driving down the motorway and then i suspect that happened becasue it was boiling away with being so hot!. I guess im just hoping it could be something easy to fix, coz i know i dont want to shell out £500+ for a new HG and head skim etc :-(.

·
In the Garage
MG TF
33,285 Posts
It does sound like it wasn’t bled properly, I would try and find a garage with vacuum filling equipment and have it done properly and cjmillsnun says buy a new coolant bottle cap.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i dont understand, why not on an F. I thought the thermostat and cooling systems on F's on TF's were pretty much identical!

·
In the Garage
MG TF
33,285 Posts
The thermostat isn’t something that I would have changed on a whim as its going to be expensive compared to making sure that there is no air in the system and a new expansion tank cap.

·
Registered
47,841 Posts
danny_halls said:
i dont understand, why not on an F. I thought the thermostat and cooling systems on F's on TF's were pretty much identical!
yes they are pretty much identical, but for the reason that Chris has posted ;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts