MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heres my problem,

Sometimes i can start of a level, hill or decent at 2000rpm in 1st and the car pulls away nice and smooth. Other times in exactly the same surroundings (i.e my parking bay at work.. always the same spot) i try to do the same but the car doesn't really pull away the engine just vibrates harshly. If i dip the clutch as it happening and try again its fine! I've tried rev'ing it harder to set of, i tried slower clutch movement and nothing seems to give me a clean start everytime.

I haven't a clue what this is or it it can be sorted out but it does my head in as its extremely dangerous on roundabouts etc!! Everyone keeps saying it when you don't put enough gas on but i find that hard to believe since it sometimes does its at 4000+ (trying to get away fast at roundabout/junctions)

any thoughts?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Could be a warped or contaminated clutch friction plate.

This causes the exact symptoms you describe.

Its not a major problem however, the car can still be driven ok. But if its really doing your head in get the clutch replaced.

If you do get it replaced make sure the mechanic checks thoroughly for oil leaks behind the flywheel and around the gearbox input shaft. If there is oil present it will be either the rear crankshaft oil seal or the gearbox seal. Change this with the new clutch and all will be well again!

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
wonder if its an oil leak then as i only have the clutch done about 9 month go.. can't have dont more than 5000 mile since it was changed.

Not sure exactly what i feels like then it misfires so couldnt really tell you..

1 - 4 of 4 Posts