MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
cityrover
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a couple of leaks in the MGf and can’t quite pinpoint where they are coming from.
1 - There is a puddle in the boot, though the seal looks intact. Thinking that there may be a leak from around the passenger rear light, is this a common area for leaks?
2 - passenger footwell has a wet floor, is there a common area for leaks there?
Any suggestions will be gratefully received.
Many thanks,
Alan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
500 Posts
I can only answer for the boot- they all leak, so it would seem. Its rarely the seal but if its in bad condition then common sence would apply. Mine was the seals/gaskets around the lights.
Passenger floor would be most likely roof seal or door. Theres no easy way of finding this other than carpets out, dry and tissue placed to see if it leaks after a liberal spray with a hose.

·
Registered
mg_tf
1,596 Posts
The footwell leak might be the dreaded 'speaker leak' - so called because the drips run right down your speakers. I found it stemmed from the join in the door seal rubbers right where the top edge of the window glass starts to angle down just behind the A-Pillar. I used some Puraform polyurethane sealant (black, from Toolstation) in a sealant gun tube to fix the leak. Had to wipe some vaseline of the edge of the window glass to stop it sticking when it was wet.
Other solutions might involve sticking some rubber tubing in the central cavity in the rubber seal (I'm assuming it is not solid) to plump it up a bit in that area.

·
Registered
mg_tf
184 Posts
Footwell leaks are also as a result of a poor seal around the air box located in the front bonnet space passenger side.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts