MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
rover_25
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right i finally understand the whole paint, laquer thing, but the only thing i dont get is the type of sandpaper i need to use, and how far down i need to rub etc. What's the name of it?Do i use wet then dry, whats the difference? Lots of questions sorry!

Surely if i sand the black pastic bits they'll go all rough? And just to double check it's sand - paint (2-3 coats)- laquer (2-3 coats?)

Cheers

Mike

·
Registered
17,398 Posts
You need to sand the strips down with a medium/fine 800 grade wet and dry. This will key the strips ready for priming. I would then use highbuild primer on the strips to remove the mottling effect it has as it looks crap if you don't.

Keep appling coats of high build and then sanding back with a medium/fine wet and dry until it's relatively smooth. Once smooth a final rub with a fine grade wet and dry is enough to key it.
When using the wet and dry you simply just dip it in water. This has 2 effects, it prevents the paint from dragging and clogging and also gives a better finish.

You then apply the paint and then the laquer after that.

Wet and dry > primer > wet and dry > paint > laquer.

·
Registered
17,398 Posts
mikec2005 said:
perfect. Cheers mate.

Mike
Sorry mate I forgot to mention. Before using the highbuild you need to use plastic primer on the strips otherwise it won't bond. Just a couple of coats is all that's needed and then you can apply the high build over that.

·
Registered
rover_25
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ashy said:
Sorry mate I forgot to mention. Before using the highbuild you need to use plastic primer on the strips otherwise it won't bond. Just a couple of coats is all that's needed and then you can apply the high build over that.
And how long should i leave it between each coat, about 20-30mins? They need to be completely dry, or tacky??

·
Registered
17,398 Posts
If you use a hairdryer on the primer for a minute or 2 then about 10 mins between coats.
The paint with hairdryer about 15 mins, same with the laquer, but give it about 30 mins between appling the paint and then the laquer. Finish off with a good blast of the hairdryer on medium heat to cure the paint. It should dry to a mirror finish.
Leave overnight to cure properly before attempting to fit to the car. The paint should fully harden in about 2 weeks so go easy with the doors until then.

·
Registered
rover_25
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ok, cheers mate, i'll have a go in the next couple of weeks and get back to you with results!

Mike

1 - 9 of 9 Posts