MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm going to be fitting a 120 engine in my 105 soon, Im going to keep the IB5 box, So I know I'll have to swap the flywheel over from the 1.4 lump, my question is will a 1.4 clutch be up to the job? I cant see why not.... And if not will a 1.8 clutch fit on the 1.4 flywheel?

Or is it just gonna have to be an uprated 1.4 clutch?

The plan is about 140bhp eventually.... Surely a 1.4 clutch could handle that?
I know it's all about the torque but Idk how much torque the engine will develop with the mods... I'm sure you know what the mods are as they're not uncommon for the 120 engines!

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
According to Parkers a TF135 has 134bhp and 122 lbft, so with breathing mods I should hope to see 140/145 bhp and a bit more torque

Will a stock 1.4 clutch cope with that or should I get an uprated one??

·
Registered
25,606 Posts
BHP means nothing to a clutch. Clutches are rated for torque.

I've no idea whether the 1.4 clutch will be up to the torque increase of fitting a 1.8 but I would suspect not if they went to the bother of fitting a bigger/stronger clutch on the 1.8.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Should be fine, I'm running the same on my vvc, as had to swap box's over and couldn't wait :) been going fine now for 3weeks! But it was a brand new clutch though!

A friend put a 1.1 box and flywheel on a non vvc 1.8 and was fine and pulled well..

Hope this helps :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts