MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a ZT-T 190 that I am very happy with. Recently, I have noticed that whenever I'm in gear, running at about 2000rpm and depress the throttle, I get clutch slippage and the engine revs up without driving power to the wheels. I suspect I may need a new clutch and have had a conversation with my local garage about replacing it. Parts and labour have been initially quoted at circa 800GBP. I live in London which might explain the high labour costs, but does this sound like the right quote / diagnosis?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hi

this does sound a little high for just replacing the clutch. There is well known problem with the CDTi clutches that requires the replacing of the master cylinder, slave cylinder and clutch (if you can't bleed it that is). 800 quid is the average price for all the parts and labour but I have seen this down as low as 600 ish.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Yeah. I've got the CDTi, had to top up the master cylinder and noticed it slipping, fortunately managed to bleed it and it's been working nicely ever since, good luck!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info guys. I will chat to the garage about other potential remedies in light of your replies (i.e. bleeding the clutch) - might save me a bundle!!

·
Registered
632 Posts
Yeah. I've got the CDTi, had to top up the master cylinder and noticed it slipping, fortunately managed to bleed it and it's been working nicely ever since, good luck!
I can't quite see how bleeding the system would stop it slipping. If you lost fluid you'd expect to find it difficult to disengage the clutch, i.e. the pedal would seem to go down too far and the clutch would bite too early. From your description it sounds like the slave cylinder could be leaking onto the friction plate.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Hi
Check the bite on the clutch if it is high up its probably the clutch, I had the same probs High bite and slipping at 2000 and above car was under warranty. I saw labour cost on job card stating 6.5 hours but was not sure about hourly rate and parts price
Regards
Dave

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have pretty much the same problem on my 75 cdt (2000) .. clutch slips sometimes in 2nd and 3rd gear.. more so on hills. (been doing it on and off for about a year !! but getting worse now)

Sound like I need a new clutch?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts