MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I was driving the other day when my clutch gave in. As i went to change gear i heard a snap and the clutch pedal stayed down. I first thought no problem i just need to replace/repair the clutch cable. Upon enquiring i found out that they dont have a cable at all but a hydraulic system.
I have a mechanic coming to look at it this afternoon to tell me what actually happened and to price up the repair.

I've never had any dealings with this before so my questions are:
Has anyone had a similar experience or idea as to what has happened
What sort of price am i looking at paying.

Hoping for some help as i dont want to get my pants pulled down over this.

Many thanks

Shane

Car is a MK1 ZS180 52 PLATE

·
Registered
mg_tf
4,695 Posts
Hi Shane,

Common problem apparently but a guy under the username 'Sheddist' has designed a system to prevent this happening. You may want to invest after this is fixed.

I believe the problem is the slave cylinder but I can't remember exactly. Try going to http://forums.xpowerforums.com for more info on the ZS. There are alot of ZS owners on that site with lots of technical knowledge available to you

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just had the mechanic round and he said it is the Clutch slave cylinder that has broken. Does anyone have any ideas how much this part should cost??

Thanks

·
Registered
5,840 Posts
Another vote for the sheddist kit here, I fitted one to my Mk1 ZS180 after having my standard hydraulics fail twice.

If you decide to have a standard slave cylinder fitted (check to see if your master is ok as well - cos both mine failed with the pedal stuck to the floor and no chance of getting any gears), it may well fail again as the cylinders and their brackets are made of plastic. The standard set up isn't bleedable either, so if air gets into the system it won't come back out.

Also the bracket holding the slave cylinder is not brilliant, and in hot weather the hydraulic fluid causes the ruber pipes to swell, so pushing down on the clutch pedal doesn't operate the clutch as well as it should.

The sheddist kit costs £145, and includes a new better mounting bracket for the slave cylinder. The kit is bleedable, and also considerably shortens pedal travel to give a much nicer, lighter clutch which should last a lot longer than the rubbish standard hydraulic set up.

Have a read of this thread from xpf, should tell you all you need to know: http://forums.xpowerforums.com/showthread.php?t=31042

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
sorry to be a little off topic, but there seems to be a lot of people having clutch cylinder problems lately. does it have anything to do with the weather? maybe because it's getting warmer?

·
Registered
5,840 Posts
sorry to be a little off topic, but there seems to be a lot of people having clutch cylinder problems lately. does it have anything to do with the weather? maybe because it's getting warmer?
No, mine just failed due to it being a poor bodge job by MGR originally.:slap:

Besides, both of my failures (pre Sheddist kit) occurred last year.

As Mark said, age of cars is the [problem now, and more people are discovering the older Rovers and MG's fitted with these hydraulic clutches.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts