MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
8,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night whilst driving, I tried moving off and pressed the clutch down. The clutch and gear both engaged but when I let go of the clutch pedal, I felt a locking feeling with the pedal fully down and then it just "fell" back into place. I tried moving off but the engine juust revved and would'nt move. After pressing the clutch pedal, with no slack in it, it reached the section where I felt the click and then the slack came back and worked when I lifted my foot up. I tried enganging first again and the clutch locked itself once more. On my thrid attempt I manged to get the car to move so I pulled over and turned my engine off. I went to check the clutch cable in the engine bay as I thought it could be the "mod" that I made(http://forums.mg-rover.org/showthread.php?t=58806&highlight=clutch+problem), getting caught and not letting to clutch rest again properly, but all seemed fine. What else could it be? and should I be worried?

·
Registered
mg_zs
1 Posts
Hi.
My sister-in-law has a mgzr td which had what sounds like exactly the same problem. I don't know if the clutch is the same or similar but the problem was down to a rusted up pivot pin ( according to RAC ). Some judicious hammering and use of maintenance spray( the RAC man had some heavy duty stuff ) and the clutch was free enough to get by with. She then got it fixed properly, cost £270 at a non franchised garage, i think they may have replaced the clutch plates as well for good measure.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts