MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Noticed this morning that my clutch pedal has got some play in it. By that I mean I can depress it by hand for about an inch with no resistance then it operates as normal.

When using my foot when the resistance is met there is a clunk somewhere behind the steering column (sounds as if its coming from there anyway).

The clutch is behaving as normal, the gears are not grating and the bite seems OK. There is plenty of depth in the pedal still. I just don't remember it having that slop. Is it just a mechanical thing with the pedal or am in trouble?

Reason I ask is because last time I experienced this sort of thing was with a Landy that dropped its clutch fluid into the footwell when a cylinder failed.

I am hoping its just a pedal adjustment that is required. Will check the fluid level later today. I'm a bit busy at work atm.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Funnily enough, my clutch pedal has the same play before it engages. Something that bothered me when I bought the car - but I have since got used to it, and infact now use the play to rest my foot on the pedal without engaging the clutch.

One issue with the clutch I have is it seems very 'heavy' especially noticeable after a long period of non-motorway driving. Would like to be able to fix that.

d.

·
In the Garage
MG TF
33,041 Posts
I guess its possible that the fluid has become hydroscopic, not sure when it should be changed if ever.

·
In the Garage
MG TF
33,041 Posts
The fluid used in hydraulic clutches and brakes is will attract moisture from the air (hydroscopic) (unless its silicon based); this is a big problem with the brakes as the heat can turn the water into a gas that is comprisable unlike the fluid. I have also had it happen with the clutch on my Midget.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts