MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The 'F' has been stood 3 months 'to cut a long story short I needed to sell the 5 before I could put it back on the road'' now I can't select any gears (unless the engines not running), it creeps in gear with the clutch fully down, if I pump the clutch it gets no better.

When I laid it up it was all working fine (apart from the odd crunch into reverse) I'm thinking 'hoping' it's a hydraulic problem, what do you think???

(1996 1.8 vvc, 42,000 miles)

·
Registered
5,647 Posts
The 'F' has been stood 3 months 'to cut a long story short I needed to sell the 5 before I could put it back on the road'' now I can't select any gears (unless the engines not running), it creeps in gear with the clutch fully down, if I pump the clutch it gets no better.

When I laid it up it was all working fine (apart from the odd crunch into reverse) I'm thinking 'hoping' it's a hydraulic problem, what do you think???

(1996 1.8 vvc, 42,000 miles)
First thing you need to do is establish that the clutch slave cylinder is operating, this will tell if it's the hydraulics or the clutch itself...

Remove the inspection cover (Or climb underneath) and get someone to operate the clutch pedal, you should see the arm connected to the clutch slave cylinder moving in and out. the cylinder is at the rear of the engine (Cabin side) near the bottom!.

·
Never forgotten
8,633 Posts
I cannot comment on the MGF system as I have no experience of it but going by the same problem I recently had on my VW Golf, either your system needs bled, or you have a faulty master or slave cylinder. Mine was a leaking master cylinder and just to confuse the issue, a leaking joint where the pipe connects to the slave cylinder.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
''YO'' thanks (all) for the above advice 'you was all on the right track :URGOD: ''

I pre-ordered a slave cylinder repair kit (2 days from X Part,£4.50) and whipped the engine cover off tonight and then got the wif to operate the clutch (all seemed OK) it moved & there were no fluid leaks???, for some reason?:dunno: I pulled the dust cover off the slave cylinder and fluid shot out
(how come the dust cover is fluid tight?).

I stripped the slave cylinder down and it's shagged, so I'll try & change that order with X-Parts for a new cylinder.

Thanks
John.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
clutch arm a good clean and lubricate as much as possible.
Thanks Chris, lubricate?, are we talking about? where the clutch arm meets the slave cylinder rod or is there another bit I haven't seen? :doh:

ps: any tips on bleeding the clutch hydraulics, for some reason it's just not happening for me :(

·
In the Garage
MG TF
33,680 Posts
Lube the arm that goes into the bell housing the best you can as they prone to seizing and that's a gearbox out job.

I haven't had the misfortune of having to bleed the clutch on the F/TF but had to do it too many times on the Midget one way or another. What I did on the Midget was to fill the cylinder the best I could with fluid then connect it up to the flexible hose and I also used a one way valve out of an Easybleed kit.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.