MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
MGF 75th Anniversary
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I was so chuffed I managed to finally bleed the clutch (and give the master cylinder a quick strip and clean of internals) yesterday - the clutch worked a treat and changing gears super easy again. So far yesterday's test drive results.

Today, leaving my driveway, a couple of stops later - loads of free travel of the pedal again - hardly any clutch disengagement and getting worse whilst I was limping back home.

Seems there is air getting into the system somewhere- but where? The bleeding wasn't too easy either yesterday.

Bleeding: Using an electric vacuum pump - Switch on pump once vacuum is there, open bleed nipple, let fluid be sucked into the bottle, leave nipple open - push clutch pedal 3 times, close bleed nipple and switch of pump. Top up reservoir.
This is the way I was able to bleed the clutch. With my lad pumping whilst I opened and closed the nipple accordingly (i.e. oldschool method) it did not work at all.

What are your suspicions who the culprit in the system is? The master did not look bad when disassembled. Suggestions please, I am slowly loosing my temper with this car 馃が 馃が 馃が so much stuff done in the past 5 weeks and it still lets me down continously - what a shed 馃が馃が

Registered
mgf
i am assuming your some pumped pedal until fluid came out and air gone etc.

i had similiar issue, pedal had alot of play, assumed it was master so changed the seals, took about an hour of pumping the pedal to before fluid came out of the slave, next day same issue, mine was the slave was leaking very slightly you couldnt notice, it was it covered in grease so bought new slave and went thru the pumping for about 1 hour again manually and then it worked and been fine since.

Registered
It's the slave cylinder or the clutch arm sticking. On my car I fixed the master cylinder with new seals to improve the clutch action but the slave cylinder was the main culprit. I went to a scrapyard got a 2nd hand clutch slave cylinder for 20 quid, fitted it in half an hour. Just three pedal pushs and system bled easily. Clutch on my car has been very nice eversince.

The old cylinder after close inspection was deemed to be not sealing well at the bleed nipple.

Registered
Same with mine about a month ago.
Mechanic said master, but I tried slave first and that took care of the problem.
Now is good
Kent

Registered
mgf
i think its worth buying a new slave, i only paid 拢34 for a brand new one, i lubed up the clutch release aswell as i expected mine was sticking so probably letting air once you took foot of clutch pedal and arm was slow returning to disengaged position/end stop.

Registered
MGF 75th Anniversary
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have now ordered a new slave, although on this side of the channel they are around 75 - 85鈧 plus shipping.

Registered
MGF's x 5 MGTF's x 6, Rover 620Ti & Cortina Mk3
I have now ordered a new slave, although on this side of the channel they are around 75 - 85鈧 plus shipping.
Usually no need to change the complete slave cylinder, usually a repair kit is suffice. brother and I have done a good few slave cylinders on mine and my brothers f's/tf's, only once out of the 7 or 8 we've sorted have we needed more than just the repair kit and on the 1 which needed changing completely the pivot arm was not fitted correctly causing the plunger to wear in the body.

Registered
When you fit your new clutch slave cylinder:-

1. Be prepared for clutch fluid to leak out all over the place. Have something ready to block the clutch pipe whilst you change the slave units over. Have buckets of water ready to wash up any spills. Wipe up any drops of fluid on the bodywork.

2. The clucth arm should wiggle very easily when disconneted from the slave, hardly any resistance when moved away from the spring preasure. Oil the bearing where the clucth rod goes into the clutch housing very well.

3. If the replacement slave unit has no bleed nipple cap, make something to cap the nipple, it sits upright and fills with rainwater.

4. Paint the bolts securing the slave unit, they get wet, they rust. Paint the support bracket with light coat of chainsaw oil to prevent rusting.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts