MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, first post here but been a good read up till now.

I got my Mg6 in April 2019, I noticed an issue when setting off which turned out to be the clutch release bearing.

Car went into the garage (Arnold Clark) for this to be checked, to see of it could be done under warranty (surprise surprise, it isn't... £800😒).
They've also come back and told me the clutch needs replacing (£324😒) AND a flywheel (£1000+!)...

Fortunately the flywheel is covered by the warranty, meaning they're only charging parts for the other 2 items.

Wondering, A) if anyone else has had these issues with theirs but also B) As the Flywheel, clutch and clutch release are all connected, could it be possible that a faulty flywheel has caused the further damage/issues? (sorry, I'm far from a mechanic 😂).

·
Registered
5,142 Posts
If the garage is saying that you may as well replace the clutch plates the same time as replacing the other parts, they are correct, as it’s a lot of costly labour to replace the flywheel and thrust bearing, and no point reassembling a worn clutch in.

The clutch itself is classed as an consumable item as it wears away, and the thrust bearing should always be replaced if the clutch plates are. It is disappointing if a clutch fails at, say, less than 60k miles.

A damaged flywheel could give the thrust bearing a hard time. You could explore this line with the garage, but it will not be easy to prove, and garages do like to share the costs of these types of jobs. The garage could argue that it must have been abused to damage the flywheel ( overheating and warping perhaps?). If the garage is paying all costs apart from the clutch and thrust bearing parts, I‘d probably think, fair enough.

3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Gnu,

Thanks for this, as stated, I'm far from being a mechanic and know very little about anything under the hood that I can't see 😂

The Car's a 2015 and I've had from 12k (now on 26k) - vast majority of my mileage has been motorway driving so, like you say, very disappointing to see it go so early. This being said, since having this reported back from the garage I've done a little digging and it seems there's a huge amount of people claiming they've had to replace the clutch and flywheel (mostly on 2015 models) at quite similar mileage.

·
Registered
mg_tf
35 Posts
I bought a 2015 MG6 and the previous owner told me that he had to change his clutch at 40000 miles which is still pretty early. I've had no problems since I've owned it at 58000 miles

·
Registered
1998 Rover 4.14 (1.6:))
5 Posts
SHi, bence bu yüzden araçlardaki parçalar artık daha kalitesiz ve daha savunmasız. Pejo dating şirket aracı olarak kullanıyorum. 1.6 dizel. 50.000 km ve baskı bitmiyor, trafikte ve biraz yük olduğunda şaşırtıcı.
🙄

1 - 6 of 6 Posts