MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
rover_600
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, finally got all the parts together for my gearbox rebuild and will be cracking on when I get some time off. I'm going to change the clutch while the box is off and was wondering what other people have used as a clutch alignment tool?, are there any other bits of advice anyone can offer regarding clutch replacement?, cheers, Rob.

·
Registered
rover_600
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks lads!, sure I can find something suitable. Just found out I have to remove the box without a crane (can't get hold of one) , 37kg box removal by hand should be fun!!.

·
Registered
25,606 Posts
Its not too bad. I've never used a crane to remove or replace one. Sometimes a trolley jack can help to support some of the weight though.

·
Registered
rover_600
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
E_T_V, did you manage to get the car high enough to remove from the underside or did you lift it out the top?, cheers.

·
Premium Member
mg_zt_t
21,913 Posts
I use whatever it to hand and do it by eye. I usually find a socket extension bar works nicely.
That's exactly what I use. Works a treat.

E_T_V, did you manage to get the car high enough to remove from the underside or did you lift it out the top?, cheers.
I found it a great help to get the car up on a pair of axle stands. Then with a couple of trolley jacks, you can work single handed to lower and raise the engine gearbox assembly as required to remove or refit the gearbox. It also helps to remove the nearside tie bar from the front nearside suspension as this stops the gearbox from being lowered (18mm nut at front of car and two 17mm bolts on lower suspension). It also helps to remove both driveshafts... a little extra work but in the average DIYer garage or road side.... the 'extra' work will save time in the long run. There are many ways of tackling the job and what needs to be removed or not. Read as much as you can and then decide what suits your circumstances.

If doing it for the first time ... DO TAKE YOUR TIME and think about what you really need to remove to make the job easier. There's lots of bits that need to come off before that gearbox can be detached from the engine. Often, that short cut will not save time. If you have an old cushion place it under the gearbox just in case it drops off without being supported by one of the jacks.

I've changed a number of Montego and Rover PG1 gearboes now. The first one took me ages but in so doing, I learned so much that the following jobs were a doddle in comparison.

Finally, get a sheet of cardboard or two. Draw a diagram on the cardboard and place the various bolts in holes there so that you know what one goes where when refitting the box. Saves all that trying to remember which one goes where ... they are all a bit different in colour, thread, socket size and length. Oh yes, the very longest bolt which fits UNDER the starter motor, has a nut on the other side of the gearbox adaptor plate. You'll need a 19mm spanner (IIRC) placed on that nut otherwise the bolt will simply rotate till the cows come home ... as one or two folks discovered .. or, not until they came on the web for more advice ...:lol:

I once changed a 620ti Gearbox working in a grassy field ... mind you ... in high summer:

Good luck ... you'll be pleased when it's done.

·
Registered
rover_600
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Many thanks for that MGJohn, really what I was looking for. I hope this will be a valuable learning experience, build a bit more confidance in my ability's. All the best, Rob.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts