MG-Rover.org Forums banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
25,606 Posts
How does it degrade the nylon cages? I've never heard of this happening. Nylon cages in the diff bearings break due to lack of lubrication when the oil level is low. There is nothing in the oil that isn't also in MTF94 (just MTF 94 has more friction modifiers stuffed into it and probably a higher synthetic content so you don't have to change it as often/at all).
10w40 was recommended for many many years, rmember the PG1 box has been in use since at least 1984, but you had to change it every 24k miles I think. SAE 80 was also recommended for the same gearbox too in some vehicles, (diesel vans usually).
The later cars use MTF94 as it is fill and forget, i.e. it doesn't need changing. something which I think is a bad move.
Most PG1 gearboxes die from lack of oil not the wrong oil being used, as driveshaft oil seal leaks lead to oil loss from the gearbox which isn't usually obvious i.e. it leaks when driving not when stationary so you don't get drips on the floor under the car.

If you can get MTF94 then use it. If not then 10w40 will be fine so long as it is changed regularly. If you are running high power then I'd suggest a 75-80 oil to provide greater film strength, as I do in my 220 turbo.

For info my van's box is now on 270k miles and has never even seen a drop of MTF94.

·
Registered
rover_200_coupe
649 Posts
I'm no expert on oil but I'm sure Rover didn't just change the recommended oil purely so you dont need to change it as often/at all. Did the early boxes that recommended other oils have nylon bearing cages?

I just don't understand why people want to go against what the manufacturer recommended when it isn't even that expensive or hard to get hold of.

·
Registered
25,606 Posts
I'm no expert on oil but I'm sure Rover didn't just change the recommended oil purely so you dont need to change it as often/at all. Did the early boxes that recommended other oils have nylon bearing cages?

I just don't understand why people want to go against what the manufacturer recommended when it isn't even that expensive or hard to get hold of.
Well no oil to change at servicing means a lower servicing cost for the owner so that improves sales as it decreases the cost of ownership. Also one oil to do all PG1 gearboxes means a lower inventory cost for the manufacturer too.

Yes the early boxes also had plastic/nylon caged bearings in them (turbos had metal caged differential bearings though I think), infact I think there is one bearing in the box that isn't available with a metal cage anywhere (its the only plastic caged bearing left in the gearbox I rebuilt).

I'm not saying 10w40 is as good as MTF94 as it isn't, but it is acceptable to use if you can't get anything else, (remember this guy isn't in the UK!).

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 · (Edited)
Thanks E_T_V
"clutch release bearing"
I'm learning more English I even explored for ....."Wedges" in the dictionnary and I think I got the meaning. :s2h:

EDIT. I just read the comment about gearbox Oil.
I bought 75W80.
I thought for an old gear box it could be suitable because 10W40 seemed fluid to me....

The Brand is Motul Motylgear SAE 75W40 API GL4, GL5, MIL-L-2105D Is there a middle/short term danger for the bearing plasitc cage ? For the rest of the box "guts" I'm not too afraid...

As for the news, i should receive the clutch parts friday

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Done!

So, I am happy to thank everyone.
The box is back in place and the car is running.
I did not disconnect the right shaft that prolongates the joint, and we paid great attention not to damage the right box seal when positiong/centering the shaft back in place.

I centered and thightened the disc visually.
After a lot of shaking, my son and I heard the nice noise of the box entering in place.

To do so I had suspended the box with a rope divided to four attaching points. So it would be kind of horizontal when lifted. Then my son would lift one side a sturdy iron bar used as a lever. An I would push with all means available !

So good bye, and thanks again ;)

·
Registered
25,606 Posts
EDIT. I just read the comment about gearbox Oil.
I bought 75W80.
I thought for an old gear box it could be suitable because 10W40 seemed fluid to me....

The Brand is Motul Motylgear SAE 75W40 API GL4, GL5, MIL-L-2105D Is there a middle/short term danger for the bearing plasitc cage ? For the rest of the box "guts" I'm not too afraid...

As for the news, i should receive the clutch parts friday
sorry I just saw the edited part. I run the same oil in my 220 turbo as do a few other people. I don't think you'll have a problem with it. You might lose 1 or 2 miles per gallon on the fuel economy as the engine has to work harder to move the oil about but the oil and gearbox itself should be fine. The main cause of gearbox failure is simply the lack of oil rather than the type of it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Thanks E_T_V
The car runs OK, my son took it.

The main cause of gearbox failure is simply the lack of oil rather than the type of it.
Well; in fact I agree. I have also to shamefully admit that I never changed the box oil on my numerous cars :O
And never broke a gear box. But i would not promote this irresponsible behaviour.
I even went to the former parts of the Empire where the sun used "to not set" (tease) : Afghanistan India Nepal and (and back! ) in the 70es. with a Kombi VW !

Best regards to all the forum, and for your hospitality.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts