MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a problem whenever i go over a bump there is a clunking coming from the back, it is increased when people sit in the back, what could this be?

·
Registered
17,398 Posts
southwell said:
I have a problem whenever i go over a bump there is a clunking coming from the back, it is increased when people sit in the back, what could this be?

Exhaust, backbox, check the mountings.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I dont think it is the exhaust as it gets louder with the more people in the back, Ive read somewhere that anti roll bar bushes cause this, but this information was for a different car.

Can anyone suggest possibilities?

·
Registered
477 Posts
i get the same problem in my 25 i think its sumthink to do with the backbox hitting the bottom of the car or suspension its so anoying when people are in the back but when there no ones in the back the noise is gone im gonner take my car to the garage when i get it back from the body shop!

·
Banned
4,749 Posts
have you checked the springs for any obstructions such as ya mates foot or his arm, my dads car had this problem and we found a naffin paint lid in his spring, hell no's how it got there :lol:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hiya buddy i've a 03 mg zr and it does the same...it goes into the dealer next wed as im on holiday so will let you know when i get back (thurs following week )...cheers

·
Registered
246 Posts
Got a ZS180 '03 that seems to be doing the same kinda thing. Haven't noticed it as much sitting in the front (probably the music :rocker: ) but most people that sit in the back comment on it.

Would be interested to hear what your dealer says before I take mine in

·
Banned
21,480 Posts
I get this, but only with people in the car, in my case its easy, its my aftermarket exhaust hitting the bumper and or suspension mount

·
Registered
mg_zr
8,240 Posts
Exhaust WILL touch the Axle with people in the back..... it's because it goes between the rear axle and the car, thus the gap disspears with people in the back and the 2 collide....

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
cosb6 said:
Exhaust WILL touch the Axle with people in the back..... it's because it goes between the rear axle and the car, thus the gap disspears with people in the back and the 2 collide....
yep, i second that, exactly the same on my 200, i tried all sorts, bloody thing!

·
Registered
106 Posts
ill third that as well!!

its a design flaw, simple as that. its annoying as hell tho......

I got round it by fitting shorter stiffer exhaust rubber mounts on my backbox which seems to do the trick...

grap a hold of your tailpipe (ohh err!) and shake it about a bit, see how much play there is. If theres a lot of movement then theres your answer

apart from different exhaust mount rubbers theres nowt much else i can think off :s

did it start shortly after the new exhaust was fitted?? if its not a genuine OEM rover backbox, and just a pattern part, it may have longer mounts or something, letting it hang lower and nearer the swingarm.....otherwise it might just be bad workmanship on the part of the exhaust fitter.........

I would get it sorted tho as if you hit a monster bump you could damage the pipe into the backbox and thats more cash to shell out :(

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
Almost certainly the curved part of the exhaust, as it passes over the rear H-frame. The fact you say it gets louder with a load in the back just confirms it.

If you can't be bothered to get new exhaust hanger rubbers, just put some zip-ties around the existing ones and put some tension in them. Make sure the exhaust doesn't foul the cutout in the rear valence.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts