MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, my headlights aren't terrible, but its certainly noticeable and letting the car down somewhat.

I've seen various guides etc, the sandpaper route is a bit too risky for me! So thinking of using some sort of polishing compound (was told to try toothpaste?).

The only thing that is bugging me, is that I know its taking the UV protective layer off, what can I use to replace/protect the headlights once I've finished?

·
Registered
3,476 Posts
You can buy purpose made products for headlight cover revival. Which both polish the cover and leave some protection.

I've never used any myself so can't recommend any in particular, but it's worth googling headlight restorer products.

·
Registered
6,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I've done a bit of homework, my lights aren't too bad but its definitely letting the side down! (That and the fog light surrounds being more grey these days.)

Thinking I might grab some of that Turtlewax Gel which restores the blackness to the plastic.

I've read that once the layer is removed from the headlights, they will cloud up quicker due to the top layer being an anti-UV coating, but I've heard some mixed results.

I'm tempted to try using toothpaste to start with as its only a mild abrasive and its not too badly damaged. Then pop some Carnauba Wax over the top, but not sure if that will give it any protection TBH, lots of differing opinions here too!

·
Registered
4,917 Posts
Plastic headlight lenses are the invention of the devil. Who ever thought them up needs to be hung up by the privates!!!

Anyway the Rover 75 was rather bad in this respect plus some numpty had gotten over spray on the drivers side one. I used Brasso and when I did them the second time paint restorer which is a mild cutting compound. Afterwards I polished them then applied car body wax. This made them brighter and improved them a lot. Fitting Osram Night Breakers was the sinlge best improvement though.

·
Registered
6,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had Osram Nightbreakers, but they blew after a short period of time so switched to Philips Xtreme bulbs. Both very good.

I must say, even just a polish has drastically improved them. the left hand side one is in good condition, but the right is still not perfect. Might have to try a more agressive compound.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Meguiars PlastX seems to do a decent job, though if your lights are really bad you may need to use fine wet and dry paper first to get rid of the worst.

·
Registered
mg_zs
34 Posts
I used 1200 wet and dry, side to side , plenty of water, then some waterred down fine cutting paste,in opposite direction to highlight any hazing.
patience is the key , mine are 100% better , they were poor tho, there are purpose built kits for polishing plastic lenses, but not as cheap as 1200 wet and dry and some polish

·
Registered
mg_zs
26 Posts
I used a buffing mop on the drill and went over a fair few times with cheap furniture polish. Did try toothpaste but even with water it kept drying out.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts