MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2002 MG TF VE51FTF
371 Posts
Not really maybe the metal is scraping on the glass if so urgent, what you should get is a clunk as the window reaches the top of its travel because there is no rubber to soften the sound. The window will also go up fractionally higher as per the thickness of the stop. If your doing it yourself let me know I'm no expert but I found a couple of tricks to help, this site shows what nut does what when adjusting the window.

·
Registered
Starlight Silver MG TF 135
174 Posts
Not really maybe the metal is scraping on the glass if so urgent, what you should get is a clunk as the window reaches the top of its travel because there is no rubber to soften the sound. The window will also go up fractionally higher as per the thickness of the stop. If your doing it yourself let me know I'm no expert but I found a couple of tricks to help, this site shows what nut does what when adjusting the window.
100% agree with Deepfat. I had damage, (but NOT disintegration) on the equivalent rubber up-stop sleeve on my drivers-side door. I was able to invert my sleeve, to ensure that the black plastic stop on the glass was hitting a fresh bit of rubber as it hit the fixed stop. It would be wise to check the black plastic stop (see picture)
Automotive tire Gas Automotive wheel system Wood Rim

on your window. Loosen the screw retaining it, if it is worn (which it probably IS), then rotate it about 180 degrees, which will expose fresh plastic to your nice new rubber sleeve.
A picture of my fixed up-stop in situ with the window removed is below (sorry about the poor focus)
Wood Bumper Rim Automotive exterior Automotive design

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
mg_tf
711 Posts
With the plastic piece shown in Picture 1 missing, the window will normally run right up over the black stop and jam in the 'up' position. This will happen if you raise the window with either the door open or hood down.
If this hasn't happened to you yet, you're luckier than me. I wonder if this is an old piece and some previous owner has already had to do this repair?

·
Registered
2002 MG TF VE51FTF
371 Posts
Trev you tight git but then again I did something very similar, I can't get into my head that you throw away an "expensive" stamped piece of metal with an inserted threaded stud for the sake of a cheap elastic band, it all comes down to profit, much more profit in metal + rubber band than just a rubber band
When I have a spare moment I sometimes trawl the web looking for a suitable rubber band/end cap whatever, no luck yet.

·
Registered
mg_tf
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Deepfat ,You almost sound like my wife calling me tight. Cautious, I like to think of it as. But yes, so often in this world of never ending 'green' thinking, we seem to be encouraged to replace whole items when a minor part drops off. When my passenger window on my C4 broke, it was just the wire that had snapped. £94+vat new window unit less motor for a couple quid at most steel wire.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts