MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to replace my head gasket on a year 2000 MGF 1.8: I've found lots of good advice on the forums, but I have oil in my water and water in my oil - what's the best way of flushing them out? I heard that washing powder in the coolant would get it out - is this a good idea? What about the oil?

I've also bought a gasket set off ebay. It's made by FAI. Are these a reputable manufacturer or am I best buying the head gasket from rover? Will the other gaskets be ok from this set or have I bought a turkey?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Rover use GEM 327 engine degreaser, it smells of lemon! You fill up instead of coolant and run the engine for 10 minutes.

Allow to cool then drain, done.
Oil you use an oil flush and then refil.

·
Registered
782 Posts
DO NOT USE A FAI headgasket set on a rover - you will be doing the job again
very very soon - either get from Rover/Unipart or a Payen set - the FAI gasket isn't up to the job.

You can buy coolant flushes from most factors.

DaveH

·
Registered
446 Posts
That pretty much covered the oil in the cooling system part (although to me no flush really cleared the expansion tank...always a bit remained/re-emerged there).

For cleaning the mayo stuff, take out the sump (as most of it is stuck down there) and clean it with some old rags until you have removed all of it. There is also some mayo stuff remaining in the oil gallery...but instead of taking it out and trying to clean it. I would recommend instead to run the engine (after you put everything together) with a mineral oil for 100 miles or something, and then drain and put a new filter and the semi-synth oil (assuming you use semi-synth always).

·
Registered
rover_400_95_99
228 Posts
Where exactly do you drain the engine flush out? is it out of the oil pan?

Sorry just I've never done an engine flush before!

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
marcus ransom said:
Where exactly do you drain the engine flush out? is it out of the oil pan?

Sorry just I've never done an engine flush before!
Oil flush additive is put in with the oil and run for a short while then drained out with the oil.
Actually fill it up with diesel oil and run for about 200 miles then drain.
Diesel oil contains lots of detergents that will clean it all out.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've just purchased the new gaskets from Mike Satur. The only thing is the head gasket looks identical. I know there's probably a difference in the quality of the materials but I expected it to look different! Also it's packed in a plastic cover and one of the corners is a bit curved. Will this be ok and straighten out when I fit it or will it cause problems? Should I send it back?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts