MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
mgf
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, My new but 2nd hand red calipers need a clean b4 I put them on...
already have some brake cleaner but heard it can dull the red on the AP calipers.. what should I use instead..
also.. what should I use on the discs and they've been sat in a damp box for a few weeks and have grown a lovely bit of orange on them.....

·
Registered
11,233 Posts
I would use engine cleaner on the calipers.
The disks depnds how think the rust is. If its thin then it will just wear off when they are used for the first time, but if its thick then you will need to sand them down a bit with emery cloth, but you need to be carefull to do it evenly so that they wont vibrate once fitted. The ideal would be to stick them in a lathe if you have access to one.

G

·
Sharky, what is this engine cleaner stuff? Is it okay on the red paint? Like mtm81 my callipers are looking very grubby....

·
Registered
11,233 Posts
I use Autoglym engine cleaner, but most brands should be safe. You will need a good stiff brush too.
You can also get specific brake cleaners from Halfrauds and the likes. These are usually solvent cleaner that you keep spraying on till is drips/runs off bringing the dust with it. Any excess cleaner then evaporates.

·
Registered
mgf
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
SHARKYMGF said:
I use Autoglym engine cleaner, but most brands should be safe. You will need a good stiff brush too.
You can also get specific brake cleaners from Halfrauds and the likes. These are usually solvent cleaner that you keep spraying on till is drips/runs off bringing the dust with it. Any excess cleaner then evaporates.
yeah I've got the spray on kind - but worries about colour fade..

·
Registered
11,233 Posts
mtm81 said:
yeah I've got the spray on kind - but worries about colour fade..
That stuff should be fine too. I've used it a few times on mine to clean behind the pads to stop them squealing.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts