MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who's used what clay bars and from where? And what did you think about them? As I am thinking about getting one but don't just want to buy a crap one.

·
Registered
Rover 620ti
3,010 Posts
+1 for the meguires, its conveniant, reasonably priced and is availible at most halfords or motor save or anything like that, gives a good result too

i have moved onto dodo juice clay bars and clay lubricant, cannot say if it is any better or worse as it seems to do exactly the same job, only you get more clay and lube so lasts longer

also, meguires clay lube smells amazing (but not as good as the tyre gel lol) and i think i am right in saying the meguires clay comes with a very useful plastic case to keep the clay in

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies guys, so after it's clayed do you do anything after or is that it done and looking shiney?

·
Registered
Rover 620ti
3,010 Posts
what i do is:

-Wash
-Clay
-Wash again
-Dry
-Polish
-Pre wax
-Wax

claying your car will remove all traces of any previous polish or wax, leaving your paintwork open to the elements, at the very least i would apply a good polish like auto glym super resin polish, or get some decent wax on there

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
All I've ever done to a car before is wash it and the odd bit of t cut, what products do you recommend etc??

·
Registered
Rover 620ti
3,010 Posts
Wash: Meguires ultimate wash and wax (the yellow stuff) is what i use, purists will say that wash and wax in one doesnt work, but i have used it for years without issue

Clay: Meguires or dodo juice, both are just as good and cost about the same (same for lube)

Dry: I use a large sillicone car squeegee to remove large water droplets, then a large microfiber car towel to dry the car completely to make sure there are no watermarks! got both from the car section in ASDA

Polish: Auto Glym Super Resin Polish all the time, have not found a car polish that comes close to this stuff

Pre wax: Dodo juice Lime Prime (with the micro abrasives) helps to remove small scratches and also polishes, bonus is it can also be used with a machine polisher for better scratch removal

Wax: Dodo juice orange crush, it has some sort of oil in it that really deepens the gloss of the car, is also easy to apply!

Aftercare: after each wash thereafter i spray the car with meguires ultimate detailer spray, brings the car back up to shine and protects the wax layers

Results are pretty good i think:

(sorry for shameless showing off lol)

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow that looks awesome, mines a mk1 blue so should look good

However I do work on a steel works where my car gets very dirty would it make it easier to clean all the crap off from there aswell then??

·
Registered
Rover 620ti
3,010 Posts
Always wash the car before claying it, this will remove any loose dirt or dust and will stop the clay bar from becoming unusably dirty in seconds, the clay is there to remove dirt that has embedded itself into the clear coat, such as industrial fallout, brake dust and the like (yes you can clay your wheels, but do these AFTER the bodywork, then discard the clay bar after)

Also, a few rules

1 - DO move the clay bar in streight lines in the direction that air would move over the car (i.e. from front to back)

2 - DO NOT move the clay bar in circles

3 - DO NOT drop the clay bar, if you do, bin it

4 - DO use plenty of lube

5 - DO giggle like a schoolgirl whenever "Lube" is mentioned

6 - DO fold the clay inwards when it becomes dirty on one side

7 - DO wash your hands before using the clay

8 - DO soak the clay in clean, warm water to soften it

once an area has been clayed, run your (clean!) fingers over the surface, it should feel as smooth as glass, if it does not, then send the clay over it again and again until it does

·
Registered
746 Posts
First time I clawed my MG ZT400. I thought, will this make any difference.....was amazed with the results!-used Autoglym and did one half of the boot lid first-was so smooth that the cloth just slid straight off it!

·
Registered
rover_25
65 Posts
you clawed your car? god can only imagine the length of your toe nails. Try bilt hamber its by far the best and you only need water as lube

·
Registered
444 Posts
If you like the Farecla G3 kit, they now do a clay mitt for around £12 which they claim can be machine washed and will last ages.
I'm sceptical as once you've used it the contaminants will be in the mitt, so if you used it again surely you'd be scraping over your panels with whatever's in the mitt?

·
Registered
mg_zr
26 Posts
Did you end up getting a clay kit ben? me and lehman got a meguirs one a while back & it was good,could do with getting another as my paint feels like sandpaper

1 - 14 of 14 Posts