MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
34,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
drivers door after one pass with the clay.

(bearing in mind the car was last clayed about 5 months ago!)

now - I suggest everyone uses one!

(yes i'm wearing latex gloves)

weapons of choice
//snipped//

my dad claying the wheels with an old piece too dirty for paintwork

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
And that was after just 5 months! :yikes:

Don't blame you for wearing gloves though fella. Did mine recently and after claying the whole car, hands were well wrinkly! :lol: So that's what i'll be doing next time a do mine! (Hopefully not in 5 months time!:lol:)

Edit: Also helps to feel for any contaminants left I suppose.

Rich.

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
34,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
And that was after just 5 months! :yikes:

Don't blame you for wearing gloves though fella. Did mine recently and after claying the whole car, hands were well wrinkly! :lol: So that's what i'll be doing next time a do mine! (Hopefully not in 5 months time!:lol:)

Edit: Also helps to feel for any contaminants left I suppose.

Rich.
yeah, its more to help with the feel of the paint than anything - dont forget windows too if you are going to clay everything!

·
Registered
14,789 Posts
I was going to give mine a go this weekend but my local halfrauds didn't have any. :(

I'll get some online sometime. :)

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
34,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was going to give mine a go this weekend but my local halfrauds didn't have any. :(

I'll get some online sometime. :)
i've got half a block of sonus grey you can have for a few quid if you want it?

·
Registered
14,789 Posts
I'll zip some money across when I remember my password! :lol:

Shame as i've just polished/waxed it, though i'll keep it for when I next give it a good clean. :)

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
34,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
the lube can also double up as a quick detailing spray - should help keep it clean before washes.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
This is probably a really dumb question - does using clay have similar effect to using T cut, am meaning in the way it must remove some paint.
Surely it wouldn't take too many uses to get through a layer of lacquer?
Or am I completely wrong in how it works?
No, clay is not the same as using T-Cut. Clay is not abrasive. Any scratches that are inflicted are caused by the clay picking up bonded contaminants and dragging them across the clear coat. Using plenty of lube practically eliminates this. A layer or two of SRP after, then a wax/sealant is what is required after.

Clay removes nothing but bonded contaminants and wax/polish. You only use it with finger-light pressure too so I doubt you would get through to the paint. T-Cut however is very abrasive, and with some rubbing, you can quite easily go through to the paint layer.

Rich.

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
34,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
spot on, can you see in the picture the lines that are created by the tar etc as the specs are picked up and removed?

·
Registered
8 Posts
ok first my apologies for sounding errrr pretty thick but where do I get clay and lube from, how much is it and how do I use it? Would love to get a perfect shine on my ZR and my dads PT Cruiser

1 - 20 of 40 Posts