MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi All,

I have just bought a classic 1.8 and within a day the heater stopped working (blows cold) the air con is icey cold, but no heat.

I know it was working because I tested it on the way home from the purchase.

Ive seen a few postings relating to climate control & error codes, but as I only have the air con cant test this way.

I was going to look at the fuses, but the manual doesnt list a specific fuse for the heater, so dont know which fuse to pull out and test?

Any help would be much appreciated

Ben

·
Premium Member
872 Posts
Hi All,

I have just bought a classic 1.8 and within a day the heater stopped working (blows cold) the air con is icey cold, but no heat.

I know it was working because I tested it on the way home from the purchase.

Ive seen a few postings relating to climate control & error codes, but as I only have the air con cant test this way.

I was going to look at the fuses, but the manual doesnt list a specific fuse for the heater, so dont know which fuse to pull out and test?

Any help would be much appreciated

Ben
First thing I'd check is the coolant level in the header tank. If the level has been allowed to drop the heater could eventualy stop working, The system couls also be airlocked and may need to be slowly filled up and bled via the vent screw as desciribed in the workshop manual.

If you are satisfied that ther is plenty of coolant and no air locks in the system then it's time to get your head under the heater binacle to see if the control moves when you turn the lever on the heater. In the engine bay at the bulkhead behind the inlet manifold there may be a water control valve which also will move as you turn the heater control knob back and forth, this can also seize over time and a little WD40 will help to unfree. Assuming the model you have does not have ATC.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
First thing I'd check is the coolant level in the header tank. If the level has been allowed to drop the heater could eventualy stop working, The system couls also be airlocked and may need to be slowly filled up and bled via the vent screw as desciribed in the workshop manual.

If you are satisfied that ther is plenty of coolant and no air locks in the system then it's time to get your head under the heater binacle to see if the control moves when you turn the lever on the heater. In the engine bay at the bulkhead behind the inlet manifold there may be a water control valve which also will move as you turn the heater control knob back and forth, this can also seize over time and a little WD40 will help to unfree. Assuming the model you have does not have ATC.
Thanks lovel, I'm unfortunately not too mechanically savvy, but will give it a go.

Is there a fuse worth checking? Coincidentally I had a front left bulb blow at the same time. The manual doesnt refer to a fuse for the heater, so dont know which one to check?

Cheers, Ben

1 - 3 of 3 Posts