MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my father has a city rover and wants to know how much petrol there is left in the tank when the red light comes on we cant find out anywhere hope you can help

·
Registered
35,551 Posts
The easiest way of finding out is to wait until the light comes on, and then immediately go to the filling station. The difference between how much you can put in and the 37 litres which is the size of the tank will tell you.

Different cars vary.

·
Registered
881 Posts
I think Autocar and CAR road tests (maybe What Car? too) often used to include this information, but I don't know if their more recent ones do.

In fact the driver's handbook may tell you - it certainly used to on many cars, e.g. "The fuel warning lamp is illuminated when 2 gallons remain in the tank."

·
Banned
5,073 Posts
The most accurate way of measuring is to wait until the light comes on and then stop the car.

Then you should syphon the remaining fuel out of the car and place it in a measuring jug.

Then use the moulded plastic numbers on the outside of the jug to see what you have removed. You may have to fill the jug more than once depending on how big it is so have a few old juice bottles to hand to store the removed fuel.

If you need to use the measuring jug again for food use then remember to use a lot of fairy liquid and give it a good clean out.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts