MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
35,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Citroen to cut-back C4 production

CITROEN IS planning to cut-back production of the C4 because of a sector-wide decline in sales of similar cars in Europe.

Production of the model at the PSA Peugeot Citroen assembly plant in Mulhouse, France, will be cut by about 15% from July 10.

Temporary contracts for 200 employees at the plant will not be renewed.

The plant also produces the Peugeot 206 and 307 models.
SOURCE: Autowired

·
Registered
35,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Liam Olf said:
I wonder if they will be laying off any jobs there, not that they no longer have a British plant to do it at?
The clue to this is in the article????

·
Registered
16,488 Posts
does anyone know how many C4's are made per annum at Mulhouse? 15% is a fair portion - is production of the 307 being scaled back too? whether it be at Mulhouse or sochaux?

·
Registered
16,488 Posts
The C4 is doing rather well here compared to the Xsara, and deservedly so. I'd rather have one of these over a focus anyday, but it gets tougher against an astra or seat leon.

·
Registered
9,119 Posts
I've said before, it's a Marmite car, and I don't like Marmite. In fact, you can burn anything made by PSA as far as I am concerned, never had a good experience with any of them.

I'd take the Leon everytime.

·
Registered
35,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've said it before and I'll say it again. I love the way the C4 looks - it is everything a Citroen should be. Stylish with a few quirks (Steering wheel hub). It deserves to do well as it is significantly better than the Xsara it replaced.

It certainly is a breath of fresh air compared to the mundane Golf, Focus and Astra.

I'm not so keen on the Coupe though, love the hatchback.

·
Registered
16,488 Posts
Yes there is a deep debate over PSA - whether its credentials as a large manufacturer are at odds with its reputation, which in SOME cases is very bad, but other cases good. The latest citroen range seems to be the best out of the firm at the moment, whilst peugeot is slipping behind.

Having said that - I just tried to order a 407 coupe brochure of the peugeot website, and the site malfunctioned! - error.

I'd love a C4 in exclusive or VTR+ trim. However someone came to work in a 1.4LX yesterday with steel wheels and even that looked snazzy - base vauxhall astra life's and focus LX's do look mundane in comparison. C4 1st, Astra and Leon 2nd, Focus 3rd in my opinion on terms of the way they look. Give me a couple of years and I might drive them all!

·
Registered
194 Posts
Does this mean residuals will hold up well if there are going to be less on the market. Unfortunate for the 200 guys/girls working on the production line.

The C4 is deinately better in higher trim levels though. I was given a LX as a coutesy car and some of the materials weren't as good and they have taken out the little drawers in the dash you get in the higher levels. I'm trading mine in next year for a 2.0 180bhp VTS. What a car that is for £15000.

·
Registered
mg_zt
278 Posts
ging32 said:
Does this mean residuals will hold up well if there are going to be less on the market. Unfortunate for the 200 guys/girls working on the production line.

The C4 is deinately better in higher trim levels though. I was given a LX as a coutesy car and some of the materials weren't as good and they have taken out the little drawers in the dash you get in the higher levels. I'm trading mine in next year for a 2.0 180bhp VTS. What a car that is for £15000.
Seen plenty in the trade few month old @ 10kish so don't part with 15k ginge!!!

·
Registered
194 Posts
swiftone said:
Seen plenty in the trade few month old @ 10kish so don't part with 15k ginge!!!
Cheers. I haven't looked into it very much at this stage. My current car's on lease so I need to decide if it's worth having a new lease on the VTS or buy one outright.

·
Banned
2,065 Posts
With Rover gone i expect the Press pack to go after the French big time. Their cars come bottom of the J D Power all the time........Toyota they are NOT!

Mega

·
Premium Member
mg_zt_t
21,916 Posts
rlxs said:
On what do you base this comment?
IIRC, prior to his Skoda and previous Honda Civic Type-R, Scouse-Mike had a .... Peugeot .... which when we exchanged many postings over on the MG BBS back then, he said he was considering p/x-ing it for an MGZS at the time. I got the impression, obviously a false one, that he quite liked his Peugeot.

I'm on record back then as saying that he'd never get an MG ZS as long as he had a ..... you fill in the dots. This was prior to my getting a ZS and he felt he was on secure ground by saying that I would never put my money where my mouth was... It's all in the BBS archives.

.... and so it came to pass.

One of his many predictions he got wrong.... ;)

·
Registered
16,488 Posts
look it is widely known that there is a lot of opposition to PSA at the moment, whether it be because of reliability issues, Ryton or dealer service. However 99.9% of manufacturers are sure to have products weaker than others in their line up. How can us MGR fans criticise PSA when the british launched the cityrover? True, I dislike the 207 but you simply cannot slag a whole company off and say ALL their cars are rubbish when you know well some of their offerings are better than others. Peugeot have gone downhill at the moment in terms of the styling of their cars but not to the levels which they are discredited widely - they are not lada's!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts